We are ready

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Re: We are ready

Post by Theo400 »

Hiya

Large munsterlanders are breathtaking to look at, I added this breed as well as the German pointer and the Dalmatian. My sister added all the others.m

Thanks for telling me about the Dal so I will cross them off my list.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I love large munsterlanders too, but your chances of finding one are only slightly higher than zero. Actually, I thought Nettle had told me that in the past, but I can't find the post now.

There's loads of setters round here and they seem to be great, fairly easy dogs. Their recall isn't great but I don't think any have had a lot of training so don't let that put you off.

Though for some reason, everyone I know who has setters has two of them (apart from one person who had a Gordon setter as well which has now passed away). I'm not sure why that should be. BTW, the Gordon setters I've known have been gorgeous endearing clowns, but rather more exuberant than the red setters.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi I JudyN

Thanks for the reply.

I have narrowed it down to the

Golden setter (all the other setters are harder to find in my area)
German pointer
And the pointer

Can anyone tell the differences between them as we like all three and can't decide?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Theo400 wrote:Golden setter (all the other setters are harder to find in my area)
You mean red setter?

I think setters are generally calmer than pointers. But if you've now settled on those two breeds, I think you'd be better off finding some local(ish) breeders and chatting to them about their dogs, ideally meeting them in person (the breeder and the dogs). It's better to have a carefully bred/raised '2nd choice' breed than a poorly bred/raised 1st choice.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

Sorry I meant Gordon setter :lol:

I would still like to hear what others think but we are down to them breeds.

I did ask my sister why does not like GSD and she said it was she got bit by one as a kid.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Theo400 wrote:Hi

Sorry I meant Gordon setter :lol:

I would still like to hear what others think but we are down to them breeds.

I did ask my sister why does not like GSD and she said it was she got bit by one as a kid.
You really need to accept that she has good reason not to want a GSD. I agree that it isn't the breed, but her fear, based on her experience, is very real. I hope you guys can find a dog you're both happy with, and I'm glad you like the setter/pointer suggestion, although I'd also be interested in what other breeds others might suggest. But if your heart is truly settled on a GSD, you will need to either wait until your living situation changes before a Shepherd is possible, or sell the house and live separately from your sister again.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I'm fine not having a GSD I was just curious and my mom never told me that she got bit so I was shocked but respect her desicon more now.

Iv been doing more research and am leaning more towards the Gordon Setter.

I will be going to crufts so will meet them then but could anyone give me info on what it might be like living and training a GS ?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've known one young Gordon setter. Jemima Puddledog she was called :lol: She was lovely, exuberant and bouncy. She was also pretty well untrained and nearly sent me flying once when I went round and she leapt up on me. I've also known an old one - she had a habit of getting obsessed with trying to drag balls, sticks and bits of attached roots out of the stream, happily blowing bubbles with her face immersed, and she would ignore her owner when doing this.

There will be drool. Not excessive, but you might want to take a cloth on walks. I don't like drool at all, but if it wasn't for that I'd be happy to have a Gordon setter. They're guaranteed to make you laugh every day :D
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. How about a German Short-haired Pointer, or Labrador? :)

Sometimes you just have to make a choice and run with it.
How about both going through the shortlist and rating each dog from best to worst, then compare ratings with your sister's to find one 'winner'? :)

EDIT: OK. A Setter it is. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Gordons - drool, high exercise requirement (like any gundog) clownish, bouncy, BIG, long hair that will bring half the world in with it. Very nice natures.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hello

Firstly thank you so much to everyone who is taking the time to reply to me to help me and my sister choose a suitable breed.

Last night we were set on the Gordon and my sister has been researching on the breed this morning as its her day off. After an hour of reading different websites and reading the reply on this forum she came to me and told me she has changed her mind and does not think the Gordon is right for us. She has not told me why :roll: . so I suggested she go through the list we write yesterday and research the breeds left on the list and tell me what is left that she likes and thinks would suit us.

Left was the Labrador and Golden retriever. She said she prefers the Goldie but she said she is leaning towards the Labrador as on tow websites they described the Goldie as good natured, playful, biddable and sensitive. It's the sensitive bit that she is not sure about as labs are not described like that , so I thought I would ask here are Goldie's sensitive and if so could you explain in what way are they sensitive? (I think she thinking collie sensitive)
master2

Post by master2 »

I would not say Goldie's are sensitive and certainly not in the way collies are but I'm not an expert. Hopefully Nettle can shed light on this for you?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't describe Goldies as sensitive either. Depends what they mean by 'sensitive' I suppose.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Maybe in the sense of 'slightly less blunderbuss than labs'...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Pardon my cheek, but I believe what your sister really wants is a cat. Is your sister a cat person? :?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.