Help with which breed, please?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gill1601

Help with which breed, please?

Post by gill1601 »

Hi There

I wonder if anyone can help, please... I'm very excited because husband has finally decided that a new puppy is a good idea! Previously, I had a boxer, Daisy, who was, I think, all that is good in a boxer breed - funny, bouncy, friendly, loving.. all of that stuff. Then as she was getting older we got a puppy to keep her company. It was wonderful at first (Daisy definitely found a new lease of life and they played for hours) but after a couple of years, Lily began to become vey dominant with both Daisy and other dogs. We ended up rehoming her because it was just too stressful for all concerned. Daisy died a couple of years ago and we have been dog-free since then.

I'm looking for a smaller dog now, but don't know much about other breeds. Would love a bouncy funny dog that actually likes other dogs? Ideally a longer-haired breed that doesn't shed... I've spent hours looking online, chatting to friends and have discovered tibetan terriers... closely followed by miniature schnauzers but not sure if they are quite 'serious' dogs?

Any help/thoughts would be gratefully received. The internet is a marvellous thing, but I think I have lost about 10 days of my life googling and reading whatever I can find! Thank you.
Nettle

Re: Help with which breed, please?

Post by Nettle »

TibbieTs are very noisy - is that okay for where you live? Schnauzers aren't exactly quiet either, but Tibbies are noisier. They are not true terriers - it's just a misleading name.

Have you thought of a poodle? They are brilliant, clever dogs but of course have a high grooming commitment. They don't have to have a fancy hairdo of bobbles and close-clipped bits - they can be clipped to a good workmanlike style. But if clever dogs drive you nuts, not the breed for you.

Would you like to give us a list of must-have, mustn't have and would-likes? That way we can help more.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS