Lurchers and recall

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Lurchers and recall

Post by JudyN »

I went on a group lurcher walk in the New Forest today. There were 23 lurchers, most ex-rescues and some still in foster. We were in quite an open area, and at one point a herd of horses in the distance broke into a gallop, coming towards us.

I'm not sure what the first indication was - whether a human spotted them, or a human noticed their dog prick up his ears and fixate on them. Immediately, everyone who was close to their dog put it on lead, everyone else recalled their dog before it was too late. There may be a few who did neither as they knew their dog wasn't going to react.

Not one dog broke and chased after the horses. All the ones who were called back came back. Some were pretty worked up as the horses came near, and were on their hind legs barking at them. Jasper (who had come back when called) was pretty excited, but I had no trouble controlling him on lead.

Not bad at all for a group of dogs who some people think aren't very trainable and have no recall :lol:

A bit later on we rounded a corner and practically bumped into a couple of horses with riders. Within moments, all the dogs were back under control and moved out of the path of the horses (the riders had dismounted and led them past us). I think it's a great reflection on how well the owners were able to manage their dogs, regardless of the dogs' backgrounds and personalities :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Re: Lurchers and recall

Post by delladooo »

This is brilliant Judy. It just goes to show it's about knowing your dog and being responsible as opposed to not trying at all :mrgreen:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done all those pet dog owners! :D

Anyone who thinks lurchers can't be trained needs to be reminded that they are working dogs. A proper working lurcher is, IMO, better trained than a police dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

I wish I could have seen that I love it when owners are responsible it makes a change to what I see everyday.

Well done to all of you.