which Shepherd looks better

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

which Shepherd looks better

Post by Theo400 »

Hi everyone

I was having a debate with my mom on the type of shepherd that's best and I want to see which one you all think out of these tow which would you says look better out of the tow

Dog A

Dog B http://images4.champdogs.net/32161/l80774009.jpg

tell me which one you would pick

many thanks
Sarah and Theo :D
Last edited by Theo400 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo400

Re: which Shepherd looks better

Post by Theo400 »

hi

I have just realised u cant see dog A so here's another link http://www.champdogs.co.uk/dog/15676
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My expertise doesn't extend much beyond looking for a straight back, but it's got to be dog B. I shudder when I see a GSD that looks like dog A.

BTW, you might want to edit that long link out of your first post, some people might glance at it and assume it's spam :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

thanks so much for your reply the reason I ask is that my Theo is half working line and half show line and dog b is his mom and she is an amazing dog but as he is half I have never had a true working line dog before as I would love to get another shep as there amazing and I loved every minute teaching Theo and watching him grow up into a happy, confidant dog and would love to do it again and were I got Theo from she is having another litter in a few years as her third litter was in 2011 (when I got Theo) and then she has had 2 litters this year as she wait around 3-4yrs before she has more litters as she says that she only breeds if she wants to keep one but the thing is the father to her next litter will be a pure working line and I have read that working lines can be a lot more harder and crazier in the home than show lines Theo dose have a nice straight back like his mom but he is more like his dad he's a lot calmer and relaxed in the home and is ok if I have to miss a walk for what ever reasons where I have read that working line GSD can go stir crazy if they have to miss a walk? which I am worried about as I don't think I could handle a high drive dog?

here is a pic of Giggs Theo's dad http://images1.champdogs.net/33280/p17402147.jpg

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/dog/41334

just wanted to ask if you know anything about the differences of working/ show line shepherds.

Many thanks
Theo and Sarah :D
Erica

Post by Erica »

I would ask the owner of the sire what he's like. It really depends on the dog! Some working lines are properly bred to be manageable in the house, and control themselves when not on the job. Some breeders see frantic activity as "drive" and breed the most hyper dogs together. If the sire and dam are both of good temperament (good being subjective - what you want in a working Border Collie is different than what you want from a pet Pomeranian!) - perhaps "temperament that you would like to live with" is a better phrase - then it could be a good match. Best idea would be to meet both the sire and dam for a good amount of time to see what they're like. :)

I agree that B looks better!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's important to find out what the people mean when they say 'work'. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

hi

thanks Erica for your reply I actually did contact Theo's breeder last night and she dose not know who the sire will be yet but gave me a few numbers of people who had a puppy from her litters this year as she had tow pure working litter and I have phoned them all and they did all say pretty much the same thing that there puppy was very energetic even at 8 weeks at that they did find it hard at first. one of them gave me a real insight as she owns a show line and her working line came from the same breeder as Theo and she said that to sum up her working pup if a lot more lively than her show line and that you would need to be a very active person to keep up with one of cedar mounts pups.

even though I do love going walking/running with Theo what she was telling me sound very high drive and I don't think I could handle that. I also found out that Giggs Theo's dad is half show and half working as I was wondering why Giggs was not as sloped at the back as he also has a straight back. I have contacted Theo's dads owner and he will be having a litter next year and sent me a photo of one of the puppy's from last years litter. https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=55195AF2

I contacted him as like I said Theo is more like his dad very calm and relaxed and loves watching movies with me. and I like all of his dogs as there all like Giggs calm and relaxed.

here is a video of Giggs so you can see how he moves https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=14 ... =3&theater

here is a video of Giggs and one of Craig's other dogs red doing some tricks (it show you his hips more)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=14 ... =3&theater

I just wanted to see what you think of Giggs and the puppy pic as it shows you what his pups turn out like. his dogs have the right temperament I want. but want to see what you think?

many thanks
Theo and Sarah
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

so what do you think of Giggs :D
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

just wondering why no one has got back? :?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think because as several people have discussed conformation of GSDs with you earlier, and few are likely to have in-depth knowledge of GSDs, they now feel that you are as well placed to judge as anyone else :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some of us have to work :lol: I'll be back later

Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

that's fine nettle and Judy N. it was only because I wanted to see if you all thought the same as me to make sure I was right or not. as I think he is straight back and not as bad as the show line and wanted to see if you would agree or disagree?

many thanks
Sarah and Theo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The videos don't show anything useful - they are very cunning, whether wilfully or not I can't say.

You need to see a side view of the dog at walk, trot and canter, a coming-towards view and a going-away view, on level clear ground so you can see all the way down to the paws and all the way to the top of the back.

Side view watch how the back legs and hindquarters move. There should not be excessive swing in the quarters. Back paws should go into front pawprints not outside or inside front paws - think of the dog moving on parallel rails. Most GSDs track outside on one side and inside on the other because of the bent back and hind end.

Coming towards, front paws should hit the ground close to each other but not cross each other. Elbosw should be to the sides of the dog not thrown outwards. Going away, hocks should angle neither towards nor away from each other.

Paws should not splay toes, and the dog should drive from the back end not pull itself along by its shoulders and nodding its head to take the weight.

You still need to find out what the people mean by 'work'. There are many activities described as 'work'. I agree you do NOT want a high-drive dog.