Pekingese

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Re: Pekingese

Post by delladooo »

I did try and convince her of a spitz. I'm not a fan of the pom but I like the German spitz, unfortunately she's not a fan. I'm assuming if she were to have a peke it wouldn't have a full trailing show cut, just long flowing coat. I'm definitely thinking we should spend more quality time with one before getting, we have met pekes before so it's not something we'd be going into blind but it's not the same as really seeing one in the house. So far we've not done much serious looking because I feel Laufey's a bit young but at the same time I don't know the best time to introduce another dog into the picture, especially something like a peke that can't jump well when Laufey is very bouncy at the minute (we're working on it but it's going very slowly :roll: )
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Just thought I'd update this as it's been an interesting couple of weeks...

Whilst my brother likes dogs, he's not as much of a dog person as mum and myself; he's quite happy with out without one. That said, a friend of his has quite the selection - Great dane, yorkie and two chis, and the yorkie has a litter of 6 puppies (hectic I know seeing as the dane is only 18 months, he was very calm though so I was impressed). Anyway, my brother had fallen in love with the runt of the litter and convinced us to go see him (mostly I wanted to see the Dane :wink: ) which we did. We don't have the little yorkie chi puppy because he was a boy and a very tiny little thing. But, visiting the little lad has solidified that mum wants another dog in the near future, she's moved away from pekes for now - on her side mostly the cost of the breed with the initial purchase and their expensive health problems - and while I'm sure she would still love a peke in the future, for now we have widened our casual search.

Our search criteria is small(ish) - a small spaniel is okay, a setter is too big - and female. Something not too timid (Laufey is exuberant) but not too high a work drive that it must be doing something all day, every day. We love Whippets and Italian greyhounds but feel they're too delicate for Laufey as we're worried about broken legs and there's a preference for fluffy. We would (and are) considering rescue but don't think most would let us adopt from them as rabbits, cats, another dog, small garden and we're not bothered about pedigree or mutt. We're also open to puppy or older dog (although not senior as, again, Laufey is too lively to offer a good retirement). Mum's thinking possibly as soon as the new year for serious looking so not long really :shock: I'm obviously very excited but slightly apprehensive - purely because of how enthusiastic Laufey is :P
Edit: We're also adding pom back into the mix as an option; they're growing on me after I've actually met a nice one! But, a poodle mix is definitely out (pure poodle is in) as I don't want another poodle mix and every other dog I see at the minute seems to be a cockapoo :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can do a lot worse than a cavalier king charles spaniel, but must be very careful to source from health-tested parents and a breeder with a sound record.

Small podencos and schauzers might also appeal, though each can be noisy, and schnauzers in particular are strong characters. In the terrier world, Norfolks, Norwiches, borders and cairns each have lovely natures as a rule, though all terriers are sparky and most are barky too.

You mention Poms - can be nice dogs - also think of papillons. As Emms says, there are Tibetan spaniels and terriers - neither is a spaniel or a terrier, those are just the names. Tibbs are fun dogs but can be barky and busy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ahh, I knew you'd have some good ideas to add with our expansion Nettle. We've been put off cavis, in part because of the health issues and also in part because a family friend has two; one overweight (but lovely) girl and the little boy is Laufey's age and the runt with a hairyball thing grown into his eyeball (?) I'm not 100% on the specifics but it doesn't hurt he just can't see, so I'm not sure about the breed health wise and they seem a lot calmer / more timid than Laufey (not sure if that would be good for him or just make him a terror).

Podenco's look lovely and there was a rescue one around blackpool but I was under the impression they were larger dogs? Also, this one doesn't like dogs she meets and she's on the older side at 8 so big possibility she wouldn't like Laufey, and I can't say as I'd blame her :lol: As for schnauzers we love those too (I'd love a giant) but not something we've really looked at, nor are terriers actually. We'll have to have a think on that range; our previous dog was a westie although she had no terrier characteristics - very calm, quiet, didn't have any interest in playing or chasing, she was very special.

Paps are also up there as wondering little dogs to consider, we love the ears and we have seen a couple of Tibetan terriers, no spaniels, so they could be a possibility too. Currently, mum's leaning towards a cocker because they're wonderful dogs. Laufey is friends with 4 but then there's another that doesn't like him :roll: I also think they're a nice size and could keep up with him, although maybe (especially from working lines) too on the go for us.

Would you advise a puppy or an older rescue? Personally, I can see the pros of both but an older dog does worry me slightly with the cats, rabbits and guinea pig
EdIt: Also, what's the consensus on chis? I'm not a fan of the overbred smooth coat, bulbous head chis and anything with teacup in the name I would run from but long haired ones are cute, but would they necessarily get on with Laufey's temperament?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Podencos come in three sizes, and the smallest is about the size and shape of a Norfolk terrier.

You can get healthy cavvies, but you have to seek out a good breeder - anyone who lets a dog get overweight or buys a sickly runt should not colour your view of what is a very nice breed :wink:

Westies are usually nice enough but have some horrendous health issues - I'd steer clear. Avoid working terrier types - won't suit Laufey or your lifestyle.

Cockers - even show cockers - are busybusybusy. Grand little dogs if your Mum can cope with that.

A pup or an older dog might suit, but as you have small furries to consider, be very careful if you opt for an older dog.

If you get a good chi, you'll have a fun dog - but it's hard to find a really good chi (like Ted and Ella).

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ahhh, I didn't know that about Podencos. Cavvies aren't completely ruled out but not high on the list of "really want". We would never get another westie purely because she was so very special that no other could ever compare.

As far as busy cockers go, I don't think that would be too much of an issue - Laufey is quite a busy dog so someone who could keep up would be good and wouldn't be left for long so we can always find something to do.

We're very wary of rescue as mum had a bad experience - when I was little they rescued a dog that was okay with cats and children and he wasn't okay either - so isn't overly enthusiastic about jumping into that with so many small furries to consider.

A chi is also quite low on the list simply because I don't think I'll ever find one I like. There's a lady I see sometimes and she's got a 3yo boy who's stunning but she's just got a female puppy who does not look a good example of the breed so I'm thinking good ones are few and far between.

In regards to "really want" order a peke is still at the top (and we have sent a casual interest to a puppy we've seen but definitely want to look into her a lot more before even seeing her) with a cocker as a second. My brother is throwing all sorts of breeds around including dachshund and golden retriever so he's no help :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If a Peke is what makes your mother's heart sing, then a Peke it has to be :wink: Life's too short.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

She completely agrees! We're possibly going to see a little girl later (wayyy ahead of schedule) but she's sort of fallen in love with her already and not seen her :lol: she is lovely and I have a huge list of questions