Training

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

trinity

Training

Post by trinity »

I am looking for some advise on training or shall I say picking a trainer. My furbaby is a rescued doberman with 3 legs and I always get the same things said to me. 1) Because she likes to go from person to person to get a pet she is showing typical doberman behaviour- domaince (sorry I cant spell). 2) because she is a tripaw her basic obediance training needs to be adjusted. The last person I met with says that her barking, not growling or lunging at new people is aggression and needs to be stopped. They also want to take her to the point of wanting to attack so it can be contoled. Please if anyone knows someone who can help me with the training in the Ontario GTA area who wlll treat my baby as a regular dog. I know she is different in some aspects and has traits that are different from other breeds but is there not a trainer who can help trainer so she can be a regular dog too? I
Sabrina

Re: Training

Post by Sabrina »

Hi!
trinity wrote: They also want to take her to the point of wanting to attack so it can be contoled.
If I am reading this correctly, the trainer wants to provoke your dog so that she feels like she has to attack to defend herself? If so, please run far away and don't have anything to do with this. You want your dog to feel safe with you so that she never feels like she has to defend herself (because she trusts you to keep her safe).

Also, trainers who use "dominance" as a catch-word are likely to be operating from an outdated view of dog behavior - in the Dog Training Articles section there's a great thread about this. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=600

Why do you feel like you need a trainer? When I first adopted my dog I thought I "had to" take him to obedience class - turned into a nightmare and we dropped the class. Since then I have taught myself how to train my dog - thorough this forum, kikopup's youtube videos, etc.

So my advice would be: think of all the reasons you feel like you need a trainer, and then go post about those issues (and your dog's daily life) over in the Dog Training Advice section (so more people will see it). From that folks will be able to help you figure out how best to help your girl - whether that's helping you learn how to train your girl or helping you find a trainer who is actually a positive trainer (I found out the hard way that you can't assume that because they say "positive" on their literature that they actually are!).