Thoughts please on "teenager" in GSD development terms.

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Trinity'smum

Thoughts please on "teenager" in GSD development terms.

Post by Trinity'smum »

Hi all
Our gorgeous GSD (female, spayed) is now 17 months old.
She has had a few fear agression issues in the past which are still a work in progress but are much better than before.
Over the last few weeks she's become a little disobedient. No huge big things just when she's asked to do things, she takes her time about it or has to be asked again, maybe has to be called back a couple of times, which is new for her
I have read in the past that this age is "adolescent" time and wonder if other GSD owners would agree that that's what this behaviour is, and do we just go with it and keep rewarding when she does do as asked. Ignoring the slow reactions? I still think of her as a puppy, although she is a giant one!
Also any ideas as to how long this stage lasts? (I seem to recall reading that she wont be "mature" til 4 but I may have just made that up!)
One last question, would it be OK to start agility now, are bones formed enough?
Thanks for reading.
x
Trinity'smum

Re: Thoughts please on "teenager" in GSD development terms.

Post by Trinity'smum »

Also - would this post be better in training advice? Wasn't sure, sorry!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Trinity'smum wrote:Also - would this post be better in training advice? Wasn't sure, sorry!
Your instinct is correct - more folks will see it over in the training advice section and you'll get more responses. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Trinity'smum

Post by Trinity'smum »

Thanks Suzette, will do.