Sleepy Jack Russell?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bluejedi79

Sleepy Jack Russell?

Post by bluejedi79 »

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She can't get fixed for another month due to taking meds to clear up a yeast infection on her rear. I adopted her a week ago. She's only barked twice (because she got spooked really bad)

She's not interested in toys, only nibbles at her food and is otherwise very, very quite. To the point I've nearly squashed her while walking because I didn't know she was there.

She loves laying on the bed all day getting cuddles, belly rubs and ear/neck rubs. I've trained her to sit and lay down. She'll come to her name if you coax her enough. She walks great on a leash. As for further training, she just won't have it. Not interested in squeak toys, just laying on the bed getting loved on is what she loves the most.

Is this normal or a rarity?
A dog is the only Earthly creature that has the soul of a philosopher, the wisdom of the Deli Llama, the heart of an Angel and the grace of a Saint.
Erica

Re: Sleepy Jack Russell?

Post by Erica »

If she's only been with you for a week, she is still probably adjusting to your house. It can take a long time - sometimes over a year - for a rescue/adult dog to settle in and show their real personalities!

Without a baseline personality to compare to, it's impossible to say whether this is normal for her. She does sound depressed/low energy though, especially for a JRT...when Onyx got like that after Mica passed away, the vets did a thyroid test and discovered he had hypothyroidism. It might be a good idea to get a thorough thyroid test; I forget which kind is best. If you want I can try to find a post about that. :)

As far as spaying goes, if she's a rescue it's probably a requirement...but how long ago was her last heat? Here's a quote from another thread (here) talking about how to calculate when it's best to spay:
Nettle wrote:You work out the timing like this.

Showing colour + 21 days + 63 days then the false pregnancy.

3 months from end of season (colour + 21 days) is the time to spay IF the dog has a season every 6 months (some breeds cycle annually).

But - if dog is in milk, wait until the milk has gone.

Don't let ANYONE squeeze her nips to see if she has milk. Wait until they have gone down. Squeezing nips risks infection/mastitis.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
bluejedi79

Post by bluejedi79 »

the shelter said she's never been in heat with them, and they don't know when her least heat was. She's slowly coming out of her shell.
A dog is the only Earthly creature that has the soul of a philosopher, the wisdom of the Deli Llama, the heart of an Angel and the grace of a Saint.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In that case, for her health's best interests, you really ought to wait until she has a season.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Hi, for some great info on females in heat (and the best time to spay, should you decide to), here is a great thread by Nettle to look through: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10933

In the first post of this thread, you'll find all the info you need to make an informed decision. :D Of course, I do realize you got her through a shelter and your options on this may be limited, but it's great info in case you do have some leeway with her spay.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11