friend for a golden retriever

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

scotia

friend for a golden retriever

Post by scotia »

I am thinking of getting another dog in the next few months, I lost my spaniel a couple of years ago and it's only now I can think of having 2 dogs again. I already have Charlie a 5yr old GR who is a great dog, good natured, biddable, playful but very, very messy :D I've posted a pic of him in photos) He loves mud and puddles and can take his exercise but is happy to settle down well in the house too.
I can't bring myself to get another spaniel so looking for something that will fit well for the family and Charlie too. So far I'm thinking of a black labrador, a flat coated retriever, or a Gordon Setter (my dream dog ) or indeed get another GR and just put up with even more mess (luckily I'm not that house-proud!)
Anyone have any thoughts on the 3 breeds I've mentioned or any other ideas for a good friend for a GR :)
Nettle

Re: friend for a golden retriever

Post by Nettle »

Whatever you get will be YOUR friend not his, and you are getting it for you not for him. :wink: Once this is understood, it's clear that you should get the dog YOU want. If you are lucky, the two dogs will get on, or at least tolerate each other, but it isn't a given.

All the breeds you mention are going to need a lot of exercise and occupation, and will increase the messiness you are already experiencing :lol: However as you mention a dream dog - why not follow your dream?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yep. And I would suggest a girl, better chances of her becoming the boss of the 2 and them peacefully coexisting... I think..
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Get a Gordon Setter. If it's your dream dog, go for it. Odin was a big lump in the throat decision for me for all sorts of reasons, but I'm so glad I made that first phonecall. I've never regretted it since.

There are issues to think about when you have Charlie already. I didn't get Pippin to stop Odin being lonely, but because Odin seemed to enoy the company of other dogs and ran about like a mad thing getting twice the exercise. My boys get along fine, and I reckon they'd miss each other if separated, but in spite of that, I wouldn't say they were especially close. It's hard to admit, but if I'm completely honest, I don't think Odin would have been too bothered if Pippin hadn't appeared on the scene. Don't get me wrong, I've no regrets myself about the little fella, absolutely none, but the point I'm making is that what you think is logically going to happen is not what actually happens. Buy a dog for you, not for Charlie.

What you could also try is perhaps a time fostering a rescue dog. You'd see how Charlie reacted to having four legged strangers in the house again, and if there's a problem, then it's an easy problem to correct. There's no reason why you couldn't perhaps try again with a different dog. If you get a pup however, it's an unknown quantity, and the problems might take longer to reveal themselves and be harder to resolve. But, so long as you recognise the risks and can take hard decisions if they're called for, then there's nothing quite like a new puppy in the house and the daily joys of watching them grow.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I love Gordon Setters. The two I've known well have been total and utter goofballs, very endearing. Also very bouncy and quirky though, so I imagine they're not the easiest breed!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
scotia

Post by scotia »

Thanks for the replies, I am still debating another dog, we have just looked after a neighbours pup for the weekend and I had forgotten how much time and work a pup takes :D Charlie is 5yrs old now and a lovely dog so we have it easy, the pup was exhausting and while Charlie was very good with the pup, he took himself out the room on more than one occasion to escape from him.
My OH thinks I am just broody as a few of the neighbours have just got pups, he is quite happy with just having Charlie. We work our schedules around Charlie but couldn't do it with a pup.
Flyby - I had a cocker spaniel when I brought Charlie home and he was not impressed! they were good together but I am sure the cocker spaniel would have preferred to be an only dog :D
I won't be doing anything soon anyway until I've made a firm decision, I'm very lucky to have such a nice dog already and maybe I should just concentrate on enjoying my time with him for now.
It was nice to hear someone else's opinions though, my OH is fed up listening about dogs :D