Labradors and Spaying - your experiences please

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Labradors and Spaying - your experiences please

Post by rachel540 »

Hello All!
We have had our now 7 month old working bred Lab since a puppy and she is now showing signs of her first season. Therefore we are thinking about the decision to have her spayed or not. Although Pepper has fantastic pedigree lines we don’t want to breed from her so the obvious choice is to have her spayed, but if so, when?

I have read lots about this but would be really interested in hearing about other Labradors, as we know all dogs are different and I feel I can’t make a decision without hearing advice specifically related to Labradors.

Comments, stories and experiences all very welcome……

Best wishes Rachel x
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
bendog

Re: Labradors and Spaying - your experiences please

Post by bendog »

Most people here would reccomend not spaying until the b*tch is fully mature, which for a Lab I'd guess might be at least 2 or 3 years old. And then try to spay 3 months after a season, not straight after one, or immediately before the next.

I know one major problem with spaying is that it can cause a b*tch to be incontinent for the rest of her life, which of course is never good, but I don't know enough to be able to suggest how common this is.

Theres a thread here which discusses many peoples opinions on spaying
http://ww.positively.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=13916

And another here which tells you everything you need to know about your pups season since you don't say if this is your first dog or not, so it might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10933
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Hi Rachel - My first thought on this is good for you researching this before you make a decision for your dog that once done, cannot be undone. There's much to consider here and she is lucky to have a thoughtful, responsible owner like you! :D

My second thought is that if your dog is just going into her first heat, this would be an especially bad time to spay her. If/when the time comes for you to spay her it would ideally be three months after her season.

I chose not so spay my Pembroke Corgi, Piper. Not because I want to breed her (I don't) but because I want her to mature fully mentally and physically before I make this decision. I will probably spay her at some point, though honestly, she just went through her first heat about two months ago and it was such a breeze for both her and me, who knows? I don't plan on deciding this until she's at least two years old anyway.

Like many, many people, I always believed (before being educated on this forum) that it was in my dog's best interest to spay/neuter at 6 months. Now I know better and we're all benefiting. One fabulous benefit to waiting has been that Piper came out of her first heat noticeably more mature and settled. Had I spayed her prior to her heat, I would have mentally locked her into that puppy mentality - not good! :wink:

Others will come along with their thoughts and experiences as well. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Thank you Bendog i have read the discussion about seasons which was very helpful and recently been recapping as Pepper is showing signs, but i havent come across the diacussion on spaying so that will be my light reading tonight!

Thank you Suzette for your kind words. Pepper is our first dog and we couldnt imagine life without her and just love her to bits. Which is why we want to make educated decisions which will hopefully be the right ones.

I know 100% not to spay before a season or shortly afterward and read about phantom pregnancies, etc. I think i am concerned how it will make Pepper feel afterwards both in herself and towards us after putting her through such an ordeal.

Keep the comments coming, all ver much apreciated x
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well, my experience is that it wasn't an ordeal at all, not for Piper and not for us. She breezed through it. :D The only difference I saw in her (aside from the dripping, which in her case was very minimal) was that she seemed to tire a bit quicker the few weeks she was in heat. She still had energy and loved to play but she definitely napped more, (and coming off months of chasing around a very active puppy, that was just fine with me!). :lol:
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Im not worried about Peppers first season, thats a natural thing and im interested to see how it goes.

And to be honest i keep wondering if we've missed it as her personality has been all over the place over the last month, being clingey, then having selective hearing and following scents alot more eagerly, then being very tired and now shes good as gold, less whinning, doing everything we ask, i cant imagine her being more mature than this haha

Its Peppers reaction to being spayed that im worried about.
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

We had our labradoodle spayed after her first season, haven't had any problems. Not worth going through a season every 6 months if you aren't going to breed, it's not fun for anyone!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Lottie wrote:We had our labradoodle spayed after her first season, haven't had any problems. Not worth going through a season every 6 months if you aren't going to breed, it's not fun for anyone!
While I appreciate your take on this subject Lottie, I've learned that there is a lot of good science that goes into the decision to NOT spay before your dog is fully mature in mind and body. Through my education on this topic on this forum and through other research I've done, I decided I didn't mind a little more effort on my part during a few heat cycles because it was not only for the good of my dog to wait, but for my family as well. Our dog will be a part of our family for many, many years to come. I want them to be the best they can be and for her to be as secure and mature as she can be. I can accomplish a lot of that through letting her hormones do their job getting her to full maturity before I spay her. And so far, we have one heat under our belts and the next one just about to start.

And one thing I've definitely learned here is that a heat cycle is a natural process that to us might look like the dog is suffering, but to them is just another part of being a dog and no big deal. Thanks in large part to this forum, I've really learned to see my dog as a dog and not a furry human with four legs. :wink: :D
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hello. Just thought I would update my post, Pepper is almost one (on 25th July) she has had one season which was in March, all the signs I thought she was showing when I first wrote this thread were so up and down with her mood swings it was a month later when she actually started spotting. It was no huge hassel, just lots of blankets everywhere and even walking her wasn't so bad, we picked quiet/empty places so she could be off lead and carry on enjoying her walks. Her mood swings continued until a month ago when she was experiencing a phantom pregnancy, that has now passed and it was only yesterday when I said to my OH "not wanting to jinx anything but.....isn't everything going so well at the moment" :D feeling very positive and can see changes in Pepper as she grows up, her attitude seems so mature at times. My OH is wanting to have Pepper spayed sometime next year, I'm happy to not do it at all so that conversation will come later, I am also quite worried (in an over-protective way) about putting Pepper through the ordeal of being left at the Vets with strangers, having an operation and waking up without me being there. I know a lot of people don't understand, but we don't have childen and Pepper has made us a family and mean everything to us and I can't bear the thought of upsetting her like that, I know I wouldn't go for an operation without the support of my family. Anyway despite how crazy I might sound, after everything I have read I completely agree that letting their hormones, body and mind, develop naturally is the best way.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I am also quite worried (in an over-protective way) about putting Pepper through the ordeal of being left at the Vets with strangers, having an operation and waking up without me being there. I know a lot of people don't understand, but we don't have childen and Pepper has made us a family and mean everything to us and I can't bear the thought of upsetting her like that, I know I wouldn't go for an operation without the support of my family. Anyway despite how crazy I might sound, after everything I have read I completely agree that letting their hormones, body and mind, develop naturally is the best way.
Doesnt sound strange at all. This is my main worry. Poppy is now at the start of her second season and if I'm honest I really hate it. She gets blood all over the carpets, and all over her beds (but this I mind less). She can't go off lead because chances of meeting dogs are too high. and she just isn't the sweet happy dog I know. She's clingy, and tired, and not really interested in much.

I do want to get her spayed when she is two. But the thought of putting her under anastethic is hard :?
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

bendog wrote:
I am also quite worried (in an over-protective way) about putting Pepper through the ordeal of being left at the Vets with strangers, having an operation and waking up without me being there. I know a lot of people don't understand, but we don't have childen and Pepper has made us a family and mean everything to us and I can't bear the thought of upsetting her like that, I know I wouldn't go for an operation without the support of my family. Anyway despite how crazy I might sound, after everything I have read I completely agree that letting their hormones, body and mind, develop naturally is the best way.
Doesnt sound strange at all. This is my main worry. Poppy is now at the start of her second season and if I'm honest I really hate it. She gets blood all over the carpets, and all over her beds (but this I mind less). She can't go off lead because chances of meeting dogs are too high. and she just isn't the sweet happy dog I know. She's clingy, and tired, and not really interested in much.

I do want to get her spayed when she is two. But the thought of putting her under anastethic is hard :?

This is why i love this forum, everyone i no tells me to stop being silly, and if someone says to me shes just a dog one more timr im going to knock their block off! Its a scary thing to go through and i dont want it to effect her/change her. I know Pepper and shes sensitive and very clingy.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Lottie wrote:We had our labradoodle spayed after her first season, haven't had any problems. Not worth going through a season every 6 months if you aren't going to breed, it's not fun for anyone!
I agree Lottie - it's not 'fun' , however nor is it a lighthearted thing you just do because its messy and inconvenient.

Bendog and Rachel - completely in the same position ..Hattie has not long ago had her first season, it was messy and she became yappy and OTT when she saw other dogs -totally out of character , but actually wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. In fact the first weekend she started we were actually away camping :shock: - i thought the tent was going to be surrounded by howling dogs - but it was fine. I've thought long and hard over the last few months and come to the conclusion i don't think i can put her through major surgery, but appreciate it's a completely personal decision.
rachel540 wrote:I know a lot of people don't understand, but we don't have childen and Pepper has made us a family and mean everything to us and I can't bear the thought of upsetting her like that, I know I wouldn't go for an operation without the support of my family. Anyway despite how crazy I might sound, after everything I have read I completely agree that letting their hormones, body and mind, develop naturally is the best way.
that's exactly how we feel :)

All i can say is thank god for this forum..when we first took Hattie to the vet for her baby jabs - they told me i needed to get her done at 6 months, and if i didnt she'd probably end up 'suffering' with a false pregnancy or getting pyo.. To be honest in my gut spaying early felt wrong, but i seriously thought maybe i'm being irresponsible!!! THEN i discovered the forum. I appreciate that vets probably see unwanted pups and idiotic owners/ amateur breeders all the time, but it makes my blood boil to think that as a new owner you are given such biased info that is so damaging :evil: Obviously we don't go the those vets anymore.