Poodle Problems

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

PoodleStepmom

Poodle Problems

Post by PoodleStepmom »

I recently married a man who is the owner of an 8 year old miniature poodle. She seems normal but has this awful problem. She poops in the bathtub (sometimes pees too), and refuses to do her business outside no matter how long we are outside. Putting her on a run is not an option because we live in an apartment.We have tried everything. Any suggestions?
Erica

Re: Poodle Problems

Post by Erica »

Go back to the basics - she's never left alone; she doesn't get access to the bathtub; treat her like she's a puppy who hasn't been housetrained (because it seems she hasn't been). This thread goes through the process in detail, and if you have any questions feel free to ask either here or there. :) It would also help us if you could give us details about the dog's day - when she's fed, exercised, trained, etc, and any significant history you have on her.

It's extremely important that you show no disappointment or anger if she potties indoors - you don't want her to become fearful of pottying in front of you. When she ends up pottying outside for the first time, be happy with her - completely and awesomely happy (shouldn't be too hard!). Throw her a mini-party, with a favorite special yummy smelly treat or her favorite toy or something else she absolutely adores.

This doesn't sound like it has a base in medical issues, but it is a possibility....
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

And he didn't tell you about this before the wedding, did he? Oh, sneaky.... :lol: :lol:

In addition to what Erica mentioned - if we assume that she has an 8 year old habit of using the bathtub as her toilet, perhaps it would make sense to find a place outside of your building with a surface somehow similar to the bathtub, and see if she can go there.. I've seen a couple of reverse cases - dogs accustomed to toileting in the woods unable to do their business in downtown on paved streets.
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

I know this was posted a while ago, but you can train dogs to go to the toilet on command. Our dog leant it from our friends dog which made it easy, but if we say "go hurries" to her, she will wee. I'm not sure why its "hurries" but that's what she learnt! Anyway, maybe having some sort of command and taking your dog outside regularly would help, sort of word assosciation.