What type of dog is this?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

strawberryga

What type of dog is this?

Post by strawberryga »

I rescued this guy from our local Animal Shelter. His description read " Large Chihuaha" 6 months old.
He is quite tall and lean. 35 pounds. The vet said he is about 3 years old and probably has Australian Shep. (I dont see that either) She said that his tail was naturally docked, so she assumed that breed. His teeth were infected and full of tartar.
He has pretty light brown eyes and a brown nose. He loves to play with toys, and can do back flips to catch a ball. He is very smart and easily trained.
We would like to know what type of dog he is. Are the genetic DNA testers reliable? It costs 60.00 to send in his DNA. Not sure I want to spend the money.

Thanks soo much for ur help!
Close up :)
Close up :)
2206.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Terrance
Terrance
2116.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Terrance
Terrance
terrance1.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Nettle

Re: What type of dog is this?

Post by Nettle »

Save your money - the DNA tests are a long way from useful or reliable yet.

He doesn't look like a natural bobtail to me - he looks like a docked working terrier type but I can't judge his size from the photos. How tall at the shoulder and what does he weigh? Of course he may have lost his tail in an accident.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Staceybob

Post by Staceybob »

I would also guess it has some sort of terrier in it, but I wouldn't pay out for a DNA test.

As long as you can work with your dog well - that's all that matters.

Stacey xxx
andyspal

Post by andyspal »

We did the DNA test with our mixed breed dog. We were told that she was a shih tzu/poodle mix, and our vet just laughed at that. Everybody who saw her told us she was a terrier of some sort. The DNA test revealed that she is mostly beagle, some keeshond and a tiny bit pug. When she barks, you can't tell if who is barking, her or my son's pure bred beagle. She howls at sirens. She is constantly finding scents and following them relentlessly. When she is following a scent she is deaf to us. She has a puggish underbite. For my money, the tests work. They may not tell you what you want to hear, but I believe they are solid. :D
strawberryga

Post by strawberryga »

he is 35 pounds... the vet checked his tail and said it was natural and not done surgically- she assumed australian shep mix but I dont see that.

Thanks for all ur help.. no DNA test for us. He is our dog and that's good enough :)
BLM

Post by BLM »

I'd guess Beagle/Chihuahua or Standard Dachshund/Chihuahua.
Bluedog

Post by Bluedog »

Very smart, loves to play - I'd say Australian Cattle Dog cross, maybe of the stumpy tail variety.
doggylover6

Post by doggylover6 »

Some type of a Terrier or Chihuahua mix?