...to get into grooming and more...

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pol

...to get into grooming and more...

Post by Pol »

At the moment I'm doing Pet Sitters International Pet-Sitting course. I figured it was a good way of getting into learning about professional animal care whilst trying to figure out where to go from there and how to get there.
At the moment I don't have a dog. I grew up with dogs and though technically my beloved JRT was the family dog, she was "my" dog :)
She'll have passed away 10yrs next month... I still miss her and love her dearly :)

I'm thinking of getting into grooming and training.
Obviously not only is it important to take care of the dogs grooming needs to keep them healthy, but also like humans who take a good bath, shower etc, who doesn't feel better after a nice scrub and being cleaned up! :)

I'd also like to get into training as I think it's a shame and disgrace to see so many dogs abused and in shelters mainly due to selfish and/or uneducated owners. I think it would be great to take dogs from shelters and be able to train them as dogs for the blind and disabled and as therapy dogs..

Would be great to chat to others who are already in either/both business - with professional experience :)

Pol :)
Shepherd103

Re: ...to get into grooming and more...

Post by Shepherd103 »

Hi,
I am not a proffesional groomer. But I groom and bath dogs at the kennels I work at.
I would recommend it a good profession to learn.
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
Lynzi

Re: ...to get into grooming and more...

Post by Lynzi »

Ive been a professional groomer for about 2 years now. I actually started as a bather at Petsmart, and they asked if id like to move up and become a groomer.Its great money and Petsmart paid for my groom school. All i had to do was sign a 2 year contract which i didnt mind doing. It can be VERY stressful at times, and dangerous. You're gonna get bit and its gonna hurt! I have to say, i have learned to have very fast reflexes. Dogs may get hurt as well and its not always going to be your fault. It just goes with the profession. Youre also going to get pooped on, peed on, thrown up on, etc. I enjoy my job, and you will if you truly love dogs. Its just not for everyone.