how often should i bath my dog?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

how often should i bath my dog?

Post by katej215 »

Hi there,

I've always been keen on not over washing my 8month old pup as dont want to dry out her skin- particularly as she is a wire haired breed, whom I've read can be prone to skin problems. However every weekend when we take her further afield for her walks she has a right old time of it -running in streams, rolling in goodness knows what, and generally getting absolutely filthy. Unless she smells of something foul, i've just been towelling her dry after her walk - however my partner has just been diagnosed with scabies :shock: - which i'm presuming has been picked up from the dog..Altho the dog seems fine ..she gets her monthly Advocate /have her booked in with the vet for a check..

Anyway - my question is - is it too much too wash my pup with pup shampoo every time she gets herself in a state (has been every weekend so far??)
bendog

Re: how often should i bath my dog?

Post by bendog »

Yep, you are exactly right. Don't bath them. If they've rolled in something gross then a bath might be the only answer - or else just wash the dirty part.

I don't think bathing more would prevent scabies anyway
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I personally wouldnt wash her every time shet gets dirty. I have had my dog 2 and a half years and he regularly jumps into water, through mud etc and comes back looking filthy (he is tan colour and has long 'trousers' which get covered in mud) but I just towel him off (like you said) and wait for it to dry. Most of it then falls of and I then hoover it and brush through his fur!

I have bathed my dog once, when I first got him from the rescue centre because he was very grubby. I havent done it since, and dont intend to...and they dont need it. Apart from irritating the skin, and there being a high risk of not rinsing the shampoo fully, it strips the coat of its natural oils which have water repelling properties.

The scabies thing I cant comment on Im afraid!
katej215

Post by katej215 »

thanks guys
bendog wrote:I don't think bathing more would prevent scabies anyway
i'm presuming OH has picked this up from our dog rolling in something - so not sure how to prevent this happening again? (she zooms around so much it would be easier said than done) couldnt face another major disinfect of everything (including ourselves...)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

A quick google suggests that you can't catch scabies from dogs or cats, but they are caught from human-to-human transmission in the same way as head lice, so I don't think you need to worry about bathing your dog. My sister-in-law caught them at university because she never changed her sheets, apparently, but I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is the case for you :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I agree that washing your dog weekly is not a good idea. But washing them once in a while won't do any harm either unless you have a dog with unusually sensitive skin or a skin condition that might be affected by bathing. I've had dogs my whole life and have given maybe four baths in all. I find a good brushing does the trick almost always and/or a good rub down with a damp cloth. But if you ever do need to bathe (and the truth is, sometimes you just do -- like the time years ago when my golden retriever rolled head to tail in some disgusting, horrid smelling muck on the edge of a stream :shock: ) then a shampoo designed to be super gentle (I like the oatmeal based ones) would be a good choice to have on hand.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

We wash Ari, perhaps every other month or so. Just need high quality shampoo and conditioner.
He has short hair, though, so rinsing him is not that difficult with a hand-held shower.
We wash the cat too...
Not that they love it, but they take it well enough.

And it's fun after the bath, when towels come out :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I love that picture of Ari! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Scabies - dab on neat lavender oil. Cures it AND stops the itch - and it's safe.

My dogs go all their lives without being bathed. If they roll in something grim, I spot-wash that area.

Some heavy-coated dogs do benefit from a bath once in a while, but the less it gets done, the better. Good thorough brushing is a must, though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yes Im with Nettle....Dylan gets sooooo dirty sometimes, like the other weekend the bottom third of him was basically covered in mud! But I just towel the worst off, let it dry, then brush the remainder off. I may bath him if he got REALLY bad and rolled in something disgusting that covered a lot of his body, but otherwise I would just spot wash.