Best Shampoo for dry skin

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BLaughlin522

Best Shampoo for dry skin

Post by BLaughlin522 »

Hi guys! I'm new here so forgive if this has been discussed recently but I was wanting any and all opinions on what you all have found to be the best shampoo +/and/or conditioners for dry skin. I am a registered veterinary technician so I have acess to vet constantly and any meds that can help with dry skin. I currently have my lil chi/min pin mix on a half daily of a 5mg pred. and it helps tremendously and I have done food allergy testing & have her on food thats best for her. I was just wanting to go furter with a great shampoo and/or conditioner. I already use an oatmeal based. Dont worry about prices for now! a 20oz bottle will last us a good while. THanks so much!
labradorfriend

Re: Best Shampoo for dry skin

Post by labradorfriend »

I'm using OatCoat, and so far this is best shampoo for my dog. I love her hair now, and the fact that it doesn't dry my dog skin even if I bathe her 3 to 4 times a week (if needed, but normally twice a week).
gwd

Re: Best Shampoo for dry skin

Post by gwd »

BLaughlin522 wrote:Hi guys! I'm new here so forgive if this has been discussed recently but I was wanting any and all opinions on what you all have found to be the best shampoo +/and/or conditioners for dry skin. I am a registered veterinary technician so I have acess to vet constantly and any meds that can help with dry skin. I currently have my lil chi/min pin mix on a half daily of a 5mg pred. and it helps tremendously and I have done food allergy testing & have her on food thats best for her. I was just wanting to go furter with a great shampoo and/or conditioner. I already use an oatmeal based. Dont worry about prices for now! a 20oz bottle will last us a good while. THanks so much!
i don't recommend oatmeal shampoo........especially if she's got any grain sensitivities.

i like this shampoo

http://1stinline.com/dog_hints.htm

but it certainly isn't the only good choice. .....often the dry flaky look is really because of incomplete cleaning. in the bathing process you're lifting some of the dead skin cells but oil in the shampoos then cause those flakes to clump and you can get the dandruff......people then think that the shampoo dried the skin out when it was more about incomplete cleansing and rinsing.

it sounds silly but some people don't have good bathing techniques..........you have to really wet the dog down first. .......soaking wet. then dilute the shampoo .....don't use it straight out of the bottle.......and then rinse........and rinse, and rinse some more. it's the act of rinsing that is what flushes the dirt and dead skin. also make sure you use comfortably warm water. cold water does not make for a clean dog.

if you are convinced you've eliminated all food sensitivities from your dogs diet, hopefully there will be no need for the pred. i'd hate to have that be something for maintenance and a lifelong thing.