I am AMAZED

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TxPepper

I am AMAZED

Post by TxPepper »

Okay, so, the past week or so Luna has been disapearing at like 11 o'clock at night when I let her into the yard to go to the bathroom one more tme before bed. When she wouldn't be back in 5-10 minutes I would get annoyed and go onto the porch and call her. A good three minutes later she'd come running back SUPER fast, like she'd run forever, except our yard is not exactly big.

I thought she was like chasing a raccoon or something, but then, she'd catch it and then stand over it barking her head off and not knowing what to do (she did this with a possum once, it was awesome)

I came back today at about 2:30, being gone since noon. I'd left Luna in the backyard, but when I got back she was lying on the neighbor's lawn, casually licking something. I got out and called to her and she came running up. She didn't have any idea that she wasn't supposed to be out front. Alone. For two hours.

It turns out our gate was broken. All this week she had probably gtten out every night for like ten minutes. she could have been out of our neighborhood by then, but she stayed within hearing distance! And then today, she was probably out of our yard around 2 hours unless it had suddenly occured to her to escape (which I doubt). If she had just trotted out of our neighborhood, she could be on te highway by now. Or in the woods. She easily could have at least gone on a walk around the neighborhood, which she very well might have. But the point is when we got home she was lying close to out house, just... Sitting there. I am FLABBERGASTED and thankful to the Lord that she decided to be smart. Our beighborhood has a highway close by and lots of woods. It also has many feral cats and people walking dogs. So, YAY LUNA!
MPbandmom

Re: I am AMAZED

Post by MPbandmom »

It is always nice when the dogs stay close to home.

Sky used to be a total escape artist. She would always head to where there were people, so people that tended to be in the area where my son lived, quickly learned who she belonged to and regularly brought her back home, or knocked on his door to let him know she was out again. The neighborhood playground was right across the street (on base low traffic area), so that is where she could usually be found. To this day, she just loves to see children.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.