Nipping less this morning!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

luvdogs

Nipping less this morning!

Post by luvdogs »

My rescue terri-poo, Jonty, is a nipper (I have bruises to prove it). I have tried: "Ouch!" throwing toys for fetch, turning my back on him, putting him in a momentary "time out" in the kitchen behind a child gate - resulting in either an escalation of nipping or no lasting results. Yesterday, I read someone's post about my going into another room and closing the door for a few moments.

After our hour-long walk this morning, Jonty starting untying my shoes, pulling my pants leg, nipping my calves. I didn't say a word, just walked to my bedroom (with him still attached to my pants) and when he released my clothes, I went into the room and closed the door. I did this several times but finally was able to walk across the living room without being attacked!

This looks like the technique that works for Jonty!

Kudos for the great idea! Keep them coming because there's a lot of us out here who need them!

Gratefully,
Jonty's mom
MPbandmom

Re: Nipping less this morning!

Post by MPbandmom »

Great news! It is always such a relief when one finally comes across the technique that registers with one's own dog. Keep up the hard/good work!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Awesome! Keep it up, persevere, it's all about you having more staying power than the dog! :lol:
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

As you get to know him better & better you will recognize his signals that nipping is about to occur. When my 2 y o boy's eyes dart back & forth and gets a crazy look in his eyes, his tail & ears are up, I know he's getting in the mood to be naughty, steal a shoe, jump on me, etc. I then distract him & give him a few commands or I'll play with him or I'll leave the room like you or I'll put him in the yard to blow off some steam. If he still wants to misbehave I'll put him in timeout in a drk bathroom. Sometimes I need to do it 1x, sometime 3/4 at the most but that's rare. So concentrate on his body language (ears/tail/eyes) & eventually you will notice a pattern. When you see those signs intervene immediately to prevent escalation. Right now you found leaving the room effective so keep that going but also study your boy daily.

Glad you had less nipping today but he may regroup & come full force at you tomorrow or next wk. Stay consistant.
GOOD LUCK!
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

I had a friend come into town from Washington state to bring in the new year. Getting up and going to my room wasn't a "guest friendly" option. When Jonty tired of playing with toys and started nipping us, I walked into the kitchen and put the child gate up for a "time out." Sometimes, it took several tries because I never kept him there for an extended time (except if we were trying to eat and he was nipping). However, I noticed a distinct improvement in his behavior! I don't know if having another person in the house helped or if he's settling down. The test will be this evening when it's back to just me and him at the house. Wish me luck! :)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's great news, Luvdogs! :D Keep up the good work! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Luvdogs wrote:
After our hour-long walk this morning, Jonty starting untying my shoes, pulling my pants leg, nipping my calves. I didn't say a word, just walked to my bedroom (with him still attached to my pants) and when he released my clothes, I went into the room and closed the door. I did this several times but finally was able to walk across the living room without being attacked!
I remember Sheba doing that when she was still a puppy! :roll: One day, she went to nip my left leg and got herself caught in my jeans! :shock: The next time she went for my legs, I waited until she left go and went into my office for a while, and when I came out, she didn't even make an attempt for my legs! I think Sheba learned that if she nips, she gets ignored. As it turned out, I had to use this technique on her other bad behaviors too! :D
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

Well, folks, the adventure continues! The two solutions I've used the most - 1) getting up and leaving and 2) putting him in "time out" in the kitchen - are losing effectiveness. He won't go into the kitchen when it's for "time out" and picking him up to put him there kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I watched several of Victoria's shows and started practicing the stand up and ignore technique which was effective for a day or two!

Is it appropriate to change my techniques when the behavior returns? I don't want to cause confusion.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Luvdogs
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

You can put a 'handle" on him & bring him to time out. SImply thread a 12 in choker chain thru his existing collar to create a 6" handle. When he acts up, say "uh, uh" or nothing at all, grab handle & lead him to the time out area. You could use a piece of rope but he might chew it, thus the reason for the metal chain. It does work, do not get exasperated, or anxious. When he comes out have something else for him to play with. Keep at it!
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will visit the "handle" idea this weekend. And thanks for the reminder not to give up. This is a relationship and I needed the reminder that it takes time to get to know him. Also, as he gets older, things that used to work may not any longer.

Guess I've forgotten that behaviors don't change in a day or two. Duh! it sure doesn't for me! :roll:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Make sure also, that you are offering him lots of opportunities to use his mouth and teeth in appropriate ways, so toys, especially tugger games and similar, chewing on kong toys, ragging soft toys.... often if you are finding that clear consistant time outs are not working its because he doesnt have a better out let for that behaviour.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant