+R Training Begins!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jenshigles

+R Training Begins!

Post by Jenshigles »

Official Day 1

New recall word.
Thank you THANK YOU Mattie for your great advice today. I started using our new word and he took to it like glue. Basically didn't train it just said, "aqui" in a happy voice and he was right with me. I will do some more real training in the home as instructed. I threw out "here" and replaced it with "aqui" ... he doesn't know it's the same word. ;) and when I was walking around and he was happy as a clam to follow me because I just got home, I said, "aqui" in a happy voice and he was right in front of me in a flash.

Loose Leash Training.

I was the idiot in front of my house for 10 minutes walking back and forth making myself (and the dog) quite dizzy. By the end he was making progress and I was getting the timing down. I noticed a few things:
1. He didn't THROW himself on the end of the line to find the perfect place to pee and poop. He did pull... but not like before.
2. He was watching me very intently to see where my body would direct him. Of course, not always, but I noticed it on the first "walk". I am proud of my boy!

Questions:
What do I do when he insists on going one direction and I switch because he has moved outside of the "walking" zone? Just turn and keep going? I end up pulling on him as I walk away... is that correct?
Noobs

Re: +R Training Begins!

Post by Noobs »

What do I do when he insists on going one direction and I switch because he has moved outside of the "walking" zone? Just turn and keep going? I end up pulling on him as I walk away... is that correct?
Yes, it is. And this is why a harness is ideal instead of a collar. Sometimes I had to turn and just keep walking, which made Murphy go to the end of the line.

Another thing you can do, which I did, is if you have lots of cars, fire hydrants, etc. around, just walk around them too. Back and forth and back and forth may be too boring for both of you. So once you make some progress you can start going around things.

Great work on your progress! Keep us updated, please. :D
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

Moving along to day 4...

Panzer is doing great with his new recall word. I have found that the only time I mess up with the old word is when I'm frustrated... which makes me stop and think, "Why am I frustrated?" then realize he's a dog and I need to earn his trust... and calm down. :)

After all... he doesn't know that chewing my socks will upset me. He DOES know that he likes to... and that's about it. (as I typed that, he started to get into a box I've told him "leave it to" about 20 times in the last 2 days... note to self: do something about that box...)

Loose Leash Training Continued Today he did good. Ended on a very good note. There were a lot of distractions and we are both having a hard time finding the perfect spot for him to walk... the fact is, he's small and my stride is about the length of his body so he tends to scoot ahead of me and I need to be quicker about changing directions.

At one point we basically walked in a circle because as soon as he caught up he ran ahead... so SWITCH... and repeat.

Clicker Training Begins I read a thread and it convinced me to do this! I already had the clicker anyways... so let's go!

He's scared of the clicker! I started presenting the treat right next to the clicker, would click, and have the treat there... he had to come right up to it. Eventually he decided to sit down as far away from it as possible and still stretch with his neck to get the treat. He eased up toward the end and we'll try again later. Soon he, too, will become just like Pavlov's dogs. :lol:

That's about it for my updates... I am ready to be walking him again to wear him out more. BUT I think I'm wearing his brain out which is just as good if not better. He's been a very happy boy.

Best part... my husband has picked up on my ques and rolled with my instructions. He's such a good husband!!!
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

Day 5

Loose Leash Walking I walked him for just a few minutes... he did PERFECT to the end of the block, before it was only a house down or so... now it's 8 houses down!

So we didn't walk far or long, but we ended on him doing PERFECT. To be continued... :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yes, congrats to puppers and mom for all the hard work!

By the way, any progress on the clicker? If holding the treat next to the clicker is scaring him, try - as an introduction to the idea of click=treat - hold the treat in front of you and the clicker behind you so he doesn't see the clicker and the sound isn't RIGHT THERE.
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me... we have been working on it and he seems over it. I picked up the clicker to move it and was telling my husband about the clicker and STUPIDLY clicked it!

Panzer came RUNNING... so he got a treat. :lol:

Thanks for the idea... if he's nervous about it today when we have our session, I'll do that. Brilliant stuff. :)

Yesterday we had a bit longer of a walk... he is PERFECT if there's nothing to look at our smell! My husband was outside helping the neighbor change his tire and when we started to head toward home Panzer would pull forward in excitement. So we'd turn around and try again. He got better after my husband went inside... we'll get there!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Sounds like you are making wonderful progress. Keep up the good work