Getting into therapy work

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Getting into therapy work

Post by ckranz »

Khan had his second visit today and I am amazed how quickly he has adapted to the work. He was so active in greeting people and getting all kinds of attention. He showed off all his trick and then I explained that all these tricks had practicle uses.

He still is very alert around the small animals we work with, but completely manageable. This will take a few more visits before he can be more relaxed around the guinea pigs and rabbits.

We had an unexpected wheelchair tether alarm go off today as a patient stood up to open a door. KHan and were only a few feet away and suprisingly the noise did not even phase him.

I really can see him growing to truly enjoy the work and attention. The places we have been to so far have been really super places to get acclimated.

Of course KHan now is plopped on his pillow resting comfortably after a hard day's great work.

He even puts up with me and some of the ways I show him off. As it was our hoilday visit I picked Khan up to sit in my lap and he was looking at me like a small child looking at Santa Paws giving his wish list...okay his look was really how long do I need to hold this pose, and I am only putting up with this because I love you....but it made all the patients today laugh with a genuine merry sound.

My darling angel Khan, my how you have grown from that dog hiding behind your foster dog's leg.
jacksdad

Re: Getting into therapy work

Post by jacksdad »

way to go.

Thank you for posting this. There are for more posts about the beginnings of helping reactive dogs, and very few stories about the results of the training.
Jenshigles

Re: Getting into therapy work

Post by Jenshigles »

Wow! This is wonderful!

Great work and kudos to your happy dog! :)