Khan ran a great trial today

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Khan ran a great trial today

Post by ckranz »

Today was the first time Khan ran a complete course at an agility trial. We ran in 2 events and even though we did not receive a qualifying score in the second run he placed 3rd so we came home with a big ribbon and stopped and got him a new toy.....a flat hedgehog with 16 squeakers and a rattle.

This was our best trial to date. Khan is still nervous about everything going on outside the ring, but today was the first time my courses did not consist of me somewhat chasing after him and pleading for him to do obstacles which he does so well in class. The best compliment came when we finished our 2nd run. Everyone was cheering for us and very proud of us as a team. Several of these people have known Khan from where we started (back in the fearful reactive days) and have said that I have worked nothing short of a miracle with him.

We celebrate a great day and great accomplishment. It is such a blessing to have such a wonderful dog like Khan who has overcome so much and learned to trust.
***Melissa***

Re: Khan ran a great trial today

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Congrats - to both of you :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

That's great! What agility club are you guys doing? I wish more success for the both of you! :D
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

We are members of UDAC (Ups N Downs Agility Club. Once we start running more consistently we will be participating in more clubs and trials.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

way to go.

I love hearing about reactive dogs getting to do "normal" dog things. While not all reactive dogs might be able to follow Khan's foot steps, I think it's very helpful for those just starting out with helping their dogs to see that advice like avoid dogs/humans/cats or whatever it is their dog is scared of is truly only for the short term. That there really is a light at the end of the tunnel.

thanks for sharing and keep up the great work with Khan.