update

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

update

Post by meggit »

not so much a success story as a yea i won story.
well after the last problem we encountered with the young man on his pushbike, buddy and my OH, things have settled down OH has given up going on about neutering and shouting and making poor buddy do as he is "told" (yea i won) (im not gloating honest im not ) and he is now keeping his complaints to himself as i have told him in no uncertain terms that buddy is MY dog and we WILL do it MY way. ( i did get very cross with him after reading everyones coments and realising that poor buddy was not compleatly in the wrong)
so any way we have had to go back to basics with a few things while we are doing this teenage hummping hodlem stage :D i walk him on his long lead as his recall is a bit off and as we have gone back to me watching him at all times in the house we have only had one more issue with him scenting (my work uniform again) in the house. i have found that we have gone back to a lot of the puppy behavouir like nipping when excited so i have just gone back to dealing with it lke we did when he was a pup,
other than these issues which from all ive read is pretty normal for his age 8/9 months hes turning out to be a wonderfull dog hes so loving its unbelivable and most of the time a good dog
i look back and realise how far we have come and how much i have learnt and that is thanks to all you wonderfull people that have helped me along the way
thankyou all
***Melissa***

Re: update

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'm so glad you won :mrgreen: :D

You have come a long way, and you are going to have a wonderful, well-behaved, confident adult dog one of these days, and then you are (occasionally) going to miss him when he was a puppy :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Good for you sticking to your guns!

And what a difference a few months makes IN YOU when these little things pop up and you're just taking it all in stride because now you know what to do. Hugs and flowers! :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

well done meggit. keeping the family on board isn't easy sometime.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yes, I'm glad you won too-- I'm sure you would have missed OH just a little bit, if you'd had to re-home him! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:Yes, I'm glad you won too-- I'm sure you would have missed OH just a little bit, if you'd had to re-home him! :lol:
I am glad I wasn't drinking when I read your post. :lol: :lol: :lol: would have been the end of my laptop
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You really have come a VERY long way.

Im a bit rushed for time tonight (er this morning... im still sorting out music for my friends wedding reception which is in under 12 hours time!)... but if people can do it..... finding your first 'omg help' threads when you joined the forum and putting in a link to that with your 'yay' thread would be a great idea I reckon?

Its easy to forget just HOW far you have come... and obviously new posters really don't know.. so i think it would be good all round.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
meggit

Post by meggit »

good one fundog that did give me a giggle.
good idea emmabeth i will leave that to some one who knows what they are doing though as my knowledge of how to do things on computers runs to opening this page and typing on here :D
i know all the stuff my little darling has learned is still in there somewhere and im hanging on to the idea that this phase will pass :roll: on his walk tonight i took more notice of what hes up to and hes following scents i hadnt noticed it before because his sniffing was so random, so i now see that his idea of the world is changing and hes trying to figure out what all these smells mean but he does still check in with me and if i turn round and go the other way even the best smells (so far) wont let him lose sight of me, so ok his recall is a bit hit and miss but his follow me is still spot on so will use that with his recall to make it a no fail situation and i will use other things that i think of along the way to make sure he just cant lose, win win situations only
thanks again for the advice
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Here's from your first three weeks!

Feb 12
shall i give up
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5476&start=0

Feb 17
help urgently
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5511&start=0

Feb 26
breakthrough
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5627&start=0

Feb 28
where am i going wrong
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5640&start=0

Mar 2
wood chewing
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5664&start=0
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Looking back at those early posts you really have come a long way since then and had to deal with your hubby as well, Image

Just think of Buddy as practice for your grandson when he is in his teens. Image
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]