Dottie Initiated a Greeting With a Puppy!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Dottie Initiated a Greeting With a Puppy!

Post by Fundog »

Some of you will recall that my poor little Dottie Monster has a bit of a problem with fear aggression and immense discomfort with meeting other dogs. As long as they don't invade her "bubble," she's fine, but if they try to sniff her, she will grumble and even bite them! I prevent these kinds of problems by inserting my body between the two dogs and preventing the other from getting too close to Dottie. And I NEVER let her off-lead around other dogs, unless Dottie has plenty of acreage to run away.

Well today we were on our walk, and passed a house where an old man has a Golden Retriever puppy, about four months old now. The puppy is trained to follow at the old man's heels, every where he goes, while he does all his "chores." Today the man was out working with the puppy following happily along. I asked if it was okay for Annie to stop and play for a minute, and the man gave consent. I kept Dottie on lead, at several steps away, prepared to intervene if necessary...

The thing is, Dottie started making this funny little whining sound I've never heard her make before... and she went into this play bow, just going crazy, hopping and bowing and pouncing, like she was desperate to meet the puppy....

So I very cautiously let her get just close enough to greet the puppy, and she did not snark at him! Instead, she sniffed him front and back, then stepped back herself and sat while the puppy tentatively sniffed her in return! Oh my gosh, that is the FIRST TIME Dottie has been able to greet another dog without grumbling or getting upset! She was soooo good, and I praised her to high heaven. :D Then the old man called his pup, saying they had work to do still. I agreed that was a good time to leave off, while Dottie had had a good experience. But what shocked me the most was her insisting on greeting that puppy herself, her excited whining that I'd never heard before, and her play-bowing! WoW! :shock: There might be hope for little ninny-muggins yet! 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Re: Dottie Initiated a Greeting With a Puppy!

Post by Leigha »

Yay!!! That's so exciting!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

How exciting for you, Fundog! Way to go! :D :D :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done Fundog for getting Dottie to this stage :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Well done Dottie and Fundog :mrgreen: It's so nice when they decide they want to be friendly isn't it? A whine and extended paw is Rupes "I like that dog" sign.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

wow that is sooo cool. good work fundog and dottie too.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Good stuff, congrats to Dottie and hurray to you for being able to read her intentions! :D