First time off leash in years

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

First time off leash in years

Post by Sarah83 »

After around 10 months of recall training on a long line that seemed to go really well we took the plunge last night and let Rupert off leash. The dog walking area here is huge with a fence that's around 5ft at it's lowest and to jump that part the dog would have to take off while running up hill. Rupe was muzzled and wore a flashing LED tag clipped to his harness as well as a flashing collar, poor dog lit up like a Christmas tree :lol: He had a run around, came back each time he was called and got part of one of those disgusting Pedigree Schmako things as a reward.

Rupert's had life on a leash for around 3 years now so this was a big step. We kept things low key, acted exactly how we'd act with him on the long line and it worked out really well. Hopefully we can continue doing this. I know he's going to take off if he spots something to chase, I can't compete with that, but he's extremely unlikely to be able to get off the field so...I dunno. Would you lovely people consider this irresponsible? In some ways it feels it but in others it feels wrong to keep him leashed because he chases small furry/feathery creatures.
***Melissa***

Re: First time off leash in years

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Whoohoo, that's great Sarah!! Well done!! :D

I dunno, I *think* everytime a dog is off lead there is some kind of risk involved. My two have much more off lead time than on lead, and although their recall is 99% I also can't compete with other animals to chase. Fortunatelly it has never happened that they take off after something, but I do try to take them to places where it's highly unlikely they'll find something. (Except for the weekend at the game farm when H went hunting, but they still behaved pretty good).

Whenever I see they find something really really interesting and I *think* they won't come if called, I turn around, make noises (like shouting whoohoo :lol: ) and start running the other way - it works like a charm - they leave everything, come running towards me with faces saying "What is it? What is it that you found mommy?" :lol: Then I have to find a patch of grass or something to fiddle with so they reeeaaally think I found something interesting. Yes, I think people think it's weird, but it works for me. I do this only when I don't think they'll come, bc I don't want to weaken the "come" command.

If it was me having to make the decision I would ask myself what the chances are of him actually finding something to chase AND then running full speed AND it must be uphill AND jumping the fence. It the chances are pretty slim of all these things happening I'd take the chance.

What is on the other side of the fence?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

There's not much chance of him going over the fence after something. On the uphill side there's a road that isn't busy at the time we take him, another side is the airport but I think he'd have to grow wings to clear the bushes and trees as well as the fence, another side is houses but we stay away from that end because of cats. It may be a dog walking area but the cats can't read.

Chance of him finding something to chase is quite high, there are mice, frogs and god knows what other small animals. They don't usually get far before he kills them though. He's muzzled in case he does come across a cat. Running away from him and making "ooh look what I've got" noises doesn't work, once he's spotted something all else ceases to exist until he loses or kills it. Then he hops around on his back legs looking for me all panicky till he spots me and comes racing full speed back.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Sarah83 wrote:Then he hops around on his back legs looking for me all panicky till he spots me and comes racing full speed back.
:lol:

If there's not much chance of him going over the fence then I would be okay with it if it were my dogs.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's wonderful, Sarah! And I'd say that as long as he can't get over/under/around/through that fence, you have no reason to feel guilty about letting him off-lead, even if he does like to chase "snack foods." :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks, he definitely realised he was loose tonight, he was gone like a bullet from a gun once we got about a quarter of the way round :lol: We could see his flashing light racing away at top speed for a few minutes and thought that was it but then they stopped and started racing back towards us. He grabbed his treat and raced away again. Once it was out of his system he just trotted along, stopping to sniff and pee, waited for us when he got a few metres from the gate, came back when called and was generally very well behaved.

I have to admit, it's nice being able to give him a bit of freedom. The long line gave him some but he never got the chance to really run as he loves to.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I will say this as a former cat owner...

To my mind, you have taken the responsible precautions here - its a secure area he cannot get out of. He is muzzled, he is visible to you and presumably if you see something and he doesnt see it you would recall him, and hed come back (unless he saw 'it').

I cant see that you can take any more responsible measures than that.

Yes, IF he catches a cat whilst wearing a muzzle he is still likely to hurt or kill it - however I do believe IF people wish their cats to go outdoors, kill things themselves and generally do 'catty' things, one of the very great risks is, something ELSE will deem them 'prey' and they may be injured or killed.

This was the risk I accepted as a cat owner, it is quite possibly what happened to my last cat who never came home one day.

I could not have locked that cat in (I did try) and I could not provide a suitable secure environment for him, so he lived a cats life and quite probably met a sticky end (equally he might have moved in with an old lady, he was a TOTAL tart and would go home with anyone).

I choose not to own a cat again until I can provide a safe environment for it.

Back to dogs - cats come into my garden, and if my dogs catch them they will kill them. So far they have not done so yet. I take great pains to ensure that my fencing is dog proof, but will allow a cat to escape if cornered, and I do check for cats before I let the dogs out. If a cat is stupid enough to enter my garden whilst the dogs are out there... this is not my problem and I certainly will not be muzzling dogs in my own garden (however if they did injure a cat, I would do all I could to prevent suffering and to provide emergency vet treatment!)

I think you have to find the balance between taking sensible precautions.... and limiting your animals life so that someone elses can remain safe.

Cats allowed to roam freely are in grave danger from other peoples dogs, other cats, other wildlife, humans and traffic, so I think you have done all you can there, and your dogs needs are a higher priority.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

oh this is sooooo cool. I am so happy for you and Rupert.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks Emmabeth, cats are my biggest concern on the field as we have seen them on there two or three times. He has killed at least one cat, it died in my brothers arms a few seconds after they got it away from Rupe. I have no doubt whatsoever that he'd kill any more he caught and while he could still kill or seriously injure them while muzzled at least they have a chance as they can avoid the quick grab and violent shake. I'm sorry about your cat, I hope he did just move in with somebody else rather than meeting a sticky end. They seem to be funny creatures for that, I had one adopt me on the way to work one morning and refuse to leave. He used to lie on the security desk and greet people who came in. This tiny little cat even learned how to use the heavy revolving door so he could come and go as he pleased (not pleasant to see the door suddenly start to move when you're there alone at 3am! :lol: ). No idea who he belonged to originally but he made it clear he was staying with us at security.

Anyway, back on topic, the field's about as secure as we're going to get to be honest. There's always a chance he'd find a way to escape it but it's highly unlikely to happen. Sadly there is the absolute PERFECT field just around the corner, fully enclosed with fencing that's about 10ft high, no gaps, no rust, lockable gate at both ends, no dogs allowed. I guess our soldiers need to be fully enclosed while playing football or they'll wander off :lol: Giving Rupe what he needs without putting other peoples pets or livestock at risk is difficult but with precautions at least now he can have some freedom even if I can't take him to really nice walking areas.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Great news! Congrats!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What a lovely post to come home to Sarah, brought a few tears, it is all down to your hard work with Rupert and not giving up, you have made wonderful progress.

As for him getting a cat, I was walking Merlin and Joe one day, both on short leads, Merlin suddenly dived under a bush and came out with a cat in his mouth. Luckily Merlin's bottom jaw was very undershot so little damage was done to the cat who boxed his ears, Merlin went into shock and I had to use TTouch on him. It didn't stop him wanting to get cats though. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Had a bit of a shock tonight. Just as we were getting back to the gate Rupe spotted something and off he went full speed, disappearing around a hedge before we could even blink. Our automatic reaction was to call him back (dunno why because when we want him back we tell him to wait and go get him coz he gets distracted part way to us on a recall). Anyway, a couple of seconds after calling him we see this flashing light come back round the corner heading towards us. He actually responded! Calvin restrained that all too human urge to yell at him for running off and kept his mouth shut while I praised him and fed him a couple of treats. After picking my jaw up off the floor anyway :lol:

Even more shocking he didn't have a screaming fit at the sheep we saw on the way to the field either. He looked, he danced, he wanted to chase but we got past without any lunging or screaming. Hmmm...come to think of it, maybe someone switched dogs on me :shock:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

way cool. good work Rupert. and good work on you all not yelling at him for now "coming" right away.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow! That's great-- I can definitely appreciate your happiness, since I have a cotton-headed runner too. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.