Redirecting focus - around other dogs!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sabrina

Redirecting focus - around other dogs!

Post by Sabrina »

Hi everyone! When I first posted about two months ago Charley (small dachshund, almost 2yrs old) and I had just had another pretty scary experience with a loose dog. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7043 Thanks to some great advice from this forum – special shout out to Jacksdad! 8) – I’ve made some real progress in helping Charley redirect his focus from other dogs (people, etc) onto me.

On walks I’ve been working really hard to avoid people and other dogs to help Charley de-stress. After teaching him “this way” I was using that to avoid walking too close to a person/dog/cat, but after a week or so of this Charley stopped looking for which way I was going to get his treat and started looking all around to see what is was that we were avoiding. So I stopped using “this way” (for the time being at least). For about the past week I’ve been calling “Charley” when there isn’t anything we need to avoid – after getting his treat for acknowledging me I let him go back to doing what he was doing (walking in the same direction, sniffing the same area, etc). At first Charley was still pretty on edge, but after several days of seeing that there wasn’t anything scary in the vicinity he no longer goes into “high alert” mode when he hears me call his name.

[I’m using “Charley” instead of “watch me” because I taught him this just means “acknowledge me” (glance, eye twitch, head flick, etc). I’m still building up a solid/generalized “watch me” and not ready to use it in all situations yet.]

Last night we drove to a local walking park that’s usually pretty empty. Well, last night there were about 3 or 4 groups of people, one with a slow, fat dog. As the paved walking loop is totally surrounded by grassy areas, I knew we’d always have a clear escape route if needed. We started out in a grassy area probably about 40ft away from the path. Charley (on an 8ft leash) was getting his bearings (sniffing and observing) when two large leashed dogs were heading into the park via the bridge behind us. Charley started to get nervous (hackles up, one “back off” bark) so I moved to stand between him and those dogs, then called “Charley” - and he looked at me! This is h-u-g-e. :!:

So he got a piece of hotdog, and then I started walking to a safer distance from all the goings-on and he followed me. It was amazing – he didn’t try to make the other dogs back off, he actually followed me! :!: After a few more times of redirecting him to avoid people/dogs, the park started to clear out some. When we were in a quite spot I called “Charley”, and he didn’t respond at all – until he’d walked a few more steps and started peeing on a branch he’d apparently been targeting. Then I got a full stare while he was peeing (I’m sure he was saying “I heard you but I just had to mark this!” :lol: ) - and he got a good-sized hotdog piece when he finished his marking!

I’m very proud of my little guy, and to celebrate we’re going to spend the next few days taking very low-stress walks!

Does it sound like I’m training myself ok? :lol:
Noobs

Re: Redirecting focus - around other dogs!

Post by Noobs »

This all sounds really good. Well done to both of you!! Flowers and cake all around!! :D :D :D
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Aw, thanks, Noobs!!! I really appreciate the encouragement from you because you really know what you're talking about! I'll take the flowers and cake, Charley says he'd rather have dead bugs and hotdogs... :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Sabrina wrote:Aw, thanks, Noobs!!! I really appreciate the encouragement from you because you really know what you're talking about! I'll take the flowers and cake, Charley says he'd rather have dead bugs and hotdogs... :lol:
Murphy prefers his bugs live...he likes to bat them around until they're flipped over with legs flailing. :!:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

wooohooo.... awesome stuff. way to good. :D

keep it up.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Way to go, Sabrina! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Awesome-- way to go! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

excellent work you guys - dead bugs and hot dog sausages for Charley... cake and flowers for you!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Thanks so much all you guys - this forum has really changed my thinking about how to build up Charley's confidence when we're out and about. We're both a lot less stressed now!

Noobs - Charley's developing a taste for live bugs... he's not so into batting them about; his style is to pounce and crunch! :lol: He still loves crunching up dead bugs, but lately he's been catching grasshoppers and eating them :lol: