Year Old Mini Schnauzer

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emumbert1

Year Old Mini Schnauzer

Post by emumbert1 »

I watch Victoria's program a lot. We've been blessed with some great mini-schnauzers over the years, but they do have a mind of their own. Most bark incessantly at the door when visitors come, jump all over them with excitement and need to be the center of attention.

In the past, I've used some corrective techniques that involved yelling at them, bumping them off, forcing them to sit, etc. I'll admit I'm old school about obedience. I have zero tolerance for an ill behaved dog. I don't hit them, but have used choke chains on lead while walking and scared the pee out of them with my loud voice.

Last year, we got a little rescue male mini-schnauzer. The owner had a big litter, couldn't sell all the pups and couldn't feed the rest. Our Zac was in a halfway house, just days away from going to a shelter. He had some issues with training, was scared and just wanted to hide under the furniture.

My wife and I vowed to use Victoria's reward techniques, as well as trying to understand dog psychology better.

Last month was Zac's first birthday. He's a completely different dog. Smart, lovable, well behaved, and so eager to please. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. I still take him to places like PetSmart 2-3 times a week to work on not jumping on people who want to pet him and not straining to get over and visit other dogs. He's coming along great.

If you have given up on your mini-schnauzer and settled for sit, come and "off" the couch...I suggest you make a list of all the things that may annoy you or others and start working on your mini. They are so smart that it's never too late.

Life with a well behaved mini-schnauzer is a beautiful thing!

Steve and Zac. :D
Steve Benedict
Dog Respect

"Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job." ~Franklin P. Jones
MPbandmom

Re: Year Old Mini Schnauzer

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go for bringing the dog around, and way to go for being open to learning new ways to train!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Noobs

Re: Year Old Mini Schnauzer

Post by Noobs »

Well I'm really glad to hear that, so good for you!

I'm concerned that the website you linked has a lot of "pack leader" stuff on it, though.