Progress & success-ish...and did I do this right?

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Progress & success-ish...and did I do this right?

Post by Noobs »

Okay I have decided to up my game in Murphy's training. There's a lot happening in my life outside of dog stuff right now so it's been difficult to focus. But we can't let his training get completely de-prioritized. We have been able to keep up with doing significant walks twice a day (50-60 mins each, as long as the temps aren't too hot), clicker training, and giving Murphy a wide berth when encountering people and dogs on walks. All of this goes a long way with keeping Murphy pretty stress-free. He is left home alone 2-3 times a week from as little as 2 hours to as much as 7 hours (that is extremely rare). He is not distressed when we leave him; in fact, when he sees us getting ready and we get to the point where we're close to walking out the door, he'll go into "his room," get on the couch, and wait for his Kong. He used to go into the room and lower his head, turn away, with ears flat. Now he's quite relaxed when we're doing our "leaving" rituals.

But the CATS. We've had very mixed success.

In the last few weeks I've seen Murphy ignore a cat (saw it, turned and walked away) and two weeks later lunge after the same cat full force with noise and spit and the whole thing, and everything in between. So...

I decided that a) I'd done plenty of avoidance and we were ready for desensitization, and b) peanut butter was a good reward for some things but not enough for this. I had grilled turkey with me and the other night did a few reps of "watch me" (I used "look") to plant the seed that I had good stuff in my bag. After a couple of blocks he was checking in happily, more often than normal.

Encounter #1: Cat sitting across a very wide street, easily 50 feet or more. It took several seconds to get him to see it, and when he did I said "look" and he made eye contact with me, tail wagging, looking like he does when we're clicker training. We did a few reps of him looking from the cat to me. Happily moved on...

#2: Half a block after #1 we came across a cat accidentally. It was lying under some stairs, considerably closer at about 15 feet, and he saw it before I did. And I only noticed because he stopped and looked at me expectantly! Whew! We did a few reps and I actually never had to ask him to look this time. He freely looked at the cat, them me, etc., with tail wagging and face relaxed.

#3 At the end of this walk we were sitting on the porch. A person was walking on the sidewalk and would eventually pass our house, so I got the peanut butter out. I asked him to look but he didn't (he usually does with no problem). Instead he continued to stare and his face inched forward ever so slightly. I looked and saw a cat walking next to the guy coming up toward the house. Before he could react further I put the peanut butter jar to his mouth and turned it so that he was licking it and facing me instead of looking toward the cat. When it was gone I gave him some turkey. :-)

So, success that walk!

Yesterday morning, I skipped one cat that I saw in someone's garbage. I decided maybe I'd skip cats that were doing anything out of the ordinary, such as rustling around next to a bag of trash. But near the end of our walk I saw one lying on someone's lawn. I crossed the street away from it first then brought him around closer, but staying 20 feet away. I was doing "look" and giving him turkey and had his full attention but I actually wasn't sure if he even saw the cat. So I changed position slightly and as soon as he saw it, he lunged and snarled. I'm talking split second. Whoops!

I body-blocked him and moved him back several feet and he stopped reacting. He sat down and looked at me and I gave him turkey. He looked at the cat and after 2 seconds he looked at me - and it appeared as though he decided to look at me, if that makes sense. He was definitely a little more intense than when he saw the cats the day before. I did a few reps of looking from the cat to me. When he relaxed we moved on. He didn't seem distressed after that so we went home.

So obviously I pushed it, I should have given him a day or two of no cats before I tried it again. I guess I thought we should move forward so as not to regress. Do I have that wrong?

Should I have taken him away from the last cat altogether instead of attempting to work with him again after he settled a bit? It seems his reaction distance varies depending on the cat, if it's moving, if there are other barriers such as a fence, etc., so I need to work that out.
jacksdad

Re: Progress & success-ish...and did I do this right?

Post by jacksdad »

Noobs wrote: did a few reps of "watch me" (I used "look") to plant the seed that I had good stuff in my bag. After a couple of blocks he was checking in happily, more often than normal.
HA :shock: :D I do similar sometime stoo. I haven't shared this yet because I wasn't quite sure it was really working and am still playing with it. I think of it as "priming" Jack. getting him in a good mood by earning a few treats before he encounters dogs.
Noobs wrote: #2: Half a block after #1 we came across a cat accidentally. It was lying under some stairs, considerably closer at about 15 feet, and he saw it before I did. And I only noticed because he stopped and looked at me expectantly! Whew! We did a few reps and I actually never had to ask him to look this time. He freely looked at the cat, them me, etc., with tail wagging and face relaxed.
So cool when they do this isn't it. means he is starting to get it. Jack does this with humans, I haven't gotten it from him with Dogs yet.
Noobs wrote: So obviously I pushed it, I should have given him a day or two of no cats before I tried it again. I guess I thought we should move forward so as not to regress. Do I have that wrong?
With Jack I learned not to push the success. That I had a greater chance of regression from him reacting to a dog then if we didn't encounter a dog and practice his skills for a couple days. Personally I think your instinct to give a day off is a good one. These successes are still stressful encounters even if he isn't going into full outward reactive mode. So if day one you have successes, day two go back to avoiding cats for a day or two, then try and repeat day 1.

as for should you have gone back to that last cat. judgment call and a hard one. IF you think Murphy will focus on you and then look at the cat and break contact back to you, then having him work through his excitement to stay calm isn't necessarily a bad call. But if there is any doubt about if he can "pull himself together" don't try it.

Your posts reads like some of my days. used almost identical techniques, same successes, questions and goofs.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

jacksdad wrote:Your posts reads like some of my days. used almost identical techniques, same successes, questions and goofs.
Appreciate your comments. :) I do think we're like dog-owner twins and Murphy and Jack were separated at birth. :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

sometimes I wonder.

i was actually thinking about you and murphy this morning while Jack was having his first (at least with me) up close cat encounter. nose to noes genital touches and sniffs, he offered play bow, not sure cat understood. tried to do the butt sniff, cat looked at him kind of funny. he also tried to get a game of chase going, cat looked at him like "your joking right". :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Sigh. If only...
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

well it was a first for us. The cat had a lot to do with it though. This cat is use to and unimpressed with dogs. Normally Jack wants to charge them and chase them, and the cat's body language normally encourages this. fury self power toys is how I think he sees.

Funny cat story for you. The other day I was walking down a street I don't normally go down. There as a cat statue in the landscaping. Jack ran up to it, play bowed, "danced around" a bit trying to get it to play. when the statue didn't respond he actually started to growl at it. :lol: :lol:

Murphy will get to a point he can deal with cats. it will happen. Your close from what your sharing.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

I have a cat story that's similar. Once we walked by a nail salon and in the front window was one of those chinese cat statues that are supposed to give good luck...big eyes and sitting on hind legs. Murphy saw it, stared a second, the barked and lunged. Sigh... In all fairness it was over a year ago and he hasn't done it since.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

no problem noobs.