"They Sure Are Well-Mannered!"

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

"They Sure Are Well-Mannered!"

Post by Fundog »

Oh my gosh, I'm so proud of my girls today! :D My son and I took them on a walk together-- to the ice cream shop! It's a rather warm (hot) day, so the ice cream shop was pretty busy. There were all kinds of "triggers" that could possibly cause them to react/agress/growl/bark/frighten people, etc., from motorcycles to big scary men. And a constant stream of people coming and going through the shop doors. I took the girls into the front courtyard to sit in the shade while my son went into the shop to get his ice cream, and bring out a cup of water for the girls. There was another man sitting at a table very close who was impressed enough to start some conversation. One of the things he said was, "well they sure are well-mannered." Just as he was saying that, there was another man who had come out of the shop, and looked as though he wanted to approach us, to come pet them. So I thanked the first man, and explained that this was a good practice for them, since they are not really used to all these people coming and going and moving about, being so close to them; it can kind of stress them out, etc. The second man was paying attention, so decided not to come any closer, but just stood there admiring them from a few steps away. While we sat down enjoying our ice creams, I remained on high alert for any signs that the girls might become stressed and react. But they stayed really chill! While I was watching out for them, I noticed all the other patrons seemed to be gazing at the girls with mixtures of longing, keen interest, looking impressed, and perhaps even a little awe. 8)

After we finished our ice cream, I offered the girls another drink of water, then we walked back home. It was one of the best walks we've ever had, and I'm so proud! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Re: "They Sure Are Well-Mannered!"

Post by maximoo »

WELL DONE GIrls. You both deserve a big juicy bone & heiny scratches!! & give yourself a pat on the back for all the hard work you've done with them. It is nice to see the fruits of our labors It motivates us to keep moving forward. 8)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing, and congrats to you and the girls. :D :D :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

speaks a lot about the work you have done. this so soon after your move....nice, very nice.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

That's a great story, Fundog! :) I'm proud of you and your girls! :D
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Wow! Well done! I'm especially impressed by how you calmly explained to Man1 about your dogs being in training so that you didn't have to make a big deal about "heading off" Man2 (and well done Man2 for paying attention!). Great work looking out for your girls!!! :P And your girls did a fantastic job, too :wink:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done Fundog, you have made a very big difference to your girls, all your hard work and training has paid off. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yippee! Way to go! I love it when people get the message to not bother a dog.

I'm planning on taking Sirius to the ice cream shop tonight. She will be wearing her no hands tank top. They have pup cups at our ice cream shop. It is outdoors and tends to form long lines with lots of people and multiple dogs (including the owner's dog who is inside the shop). Lots of possible triggers for her, but she gets a super duper treat for all that waiting in line. Her own pup cup. (not to mention all the treats for focusing on me and not reacting to things while we wait in line. :D )
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Bandmom, GOOD LUCK to you and Sirius tonight!!! :D

(And thank you everyone for all the congrats!) 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Way to go Dottie and Annie (you too Fundog)! :D You've put a lot of work in training your dogs and it shows! Well done! :D

By the way, where is my ice cream? :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Great stuff! I'm proud of you three :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams