A tiny bit of success, I guess...

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

A tiny bit of success, I guess...

Post by Leigha »

I've been a horrible, awful, absolutely horrid dog mom. I haven't walked my doggies in God knows how long (literally, I think it was before Dixie had the puppies). Tonight I've decided that since we want to maybe try to start having babies next year I need to lose about half a million pounds and get healthy so baby would have a nice place to live. Not only that, but J could stand to lose a pound or ten. So we took Bru and Dixie for a walk. It was okay... honestly, it was a lot better than it probably should have been.

When we first came out the front door I saw a little old couple walking toward our house so I decided we'd go the other way and put them behind us, but then I realized I forgot the poopy bags, so I had to run back inside while J was outside with the pooches. When the couple got to the the neighbors driveway Bru started doing his barky thing, so I told J to walk them down the cul-de-sac that's across from our driveway. As soon as they started going down that Bru was fine. I think he probably got in only two barks, but they're still two REALLY loud barks.

Bruiser actually did really good after that, I could even jog next to him and he didn't try to bite me, and he didn't try to bite at Dixie or her leash like he does with the weenies. Dixie did okay, she was kind of half stepping at the beginning of the walk, but I think that was excitement and she wanted to go faster than we were going.

We passed another couple putting stuff in their car and Bru didn't react, then he saw a man on a riding lawn mower and was okay--didn't even flinch. Then we got about a quarter of the way through with the walk and Bruiser got a whiff of something that he thought was absolutely wonderful and had to let the entire neighborhood know about it. Just all of a sudden started baying. He wasn't barking at anyone, he was just "hollering" about whatever it was he smelled.

We tried to go down a side street home, but about three houses in front of us there were some kids in the yard and on bikes, so when he started to bark I turned and we went back the other way. It made the walk about twice as long, but no biggie, we needed the exercise. After that he was okay. Bikes passed us, and he was fine, he kind of jumped a little when one passed us, but didn't sound off. I think he's better when things come up behind us than when we go toward them head on.

At one point on the way home Dixie planted her feet and wouldn't budge, so Bruiser stopped with her and noticed some kids smoking across the street and his ears perked up like he was about to sound off, but as soon as I did a "let's go" and started walking he lost focus on them and followed me--and wouldn't you know it Dixie started following him.

Dixie got nervous a few times on the walk, but didn't really pull, she just plants her feet and won't budge. She saw a motorcycle and that kind of freaked her out, so she planted...too bad she planted in front of the person's driveway so they couldn't get in their garage. Bruiser and I just started to walk away and she realized he was gone so she started to follow.

Dixie didn't really pull either. She did really well at the end of the walk, she walked right next to J without a problem. I think that was mostly because she was tired. The walk ended up being an hour and fifteen minutes, but it wasn't fast paced by any means. I think they enjoyed themselves and it went a WHOLE lot better than it probably should have. Bruiser's like 5,000 times better than he was a year ago. I don't think we'll ever be able to go into PetSmart with him, but I think if we walk enough we'll be able to walk down the street without him flipping out.

So the moral of the story is I need to start being a better pet owner and get off my fat butt and take care of my pooches.
jacksdad

Re: A tiny bit of success, I guess...

Post by jacksdad »

don't be too hard on our self. your life has been a bit chaotic lately. lets look back...rescue Dixie, discover Dixie e is pregnant, Dixie has pups, and somewhere in there you had a normal life, job and a wedding to be planned and executed. Ya, I think you can cut your self some slack.

Glad to hear bruiser hasn't gone backwards while you had all the other things on your plate. Just shows, you are not a bad doggie mommy.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The break may have done Bruiser good and he was with Dixie which would give him confidence. This is all new to Dixie but she many not have been able to cope earlier, she has been through a lot in her short life. Good luck with the pups :lol:

There are days when I can't get my dogs out, nothing I can do about it, I do interact with my dogs a lot and throw toys for them. Tilly doesn't bother about this but Dolly and Bonnie do, I often see them both with the same toy in their mouths running together, looks quite funny because of they height.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Leigha I think you did very well :D Don't ya just hate that stopping dead in their tracks thing?! Especially when it's in the way of a car or someone else :x :lol:

Keep the motivation up!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, I think Dixie is going to bring a lot of joy to your life! And it sounds like Dixie and Bruiser are going to be very, very good for each other. :wink:

On a side note: Mr. Fundog and I are also on a weight loss campaign. We have a little competition going, with a weekly weigh in chart in the bathroom. Once a week we weigh in, witnessed by each other, and then write it on the chart, and see whose methods are working better. Last week Mr. Fundog beat me by 2/10 (.2) of a pound, so he gave himself a star next to his weight. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Thankfully our scale is broken!

I'm walking doggies every day for an hour or so a night, J's coming (slightly unwillingly, but he's still going). My friend and I try to go to the gym several times a week for different classes, but she's a lot better and going than I am. I just want to make sure that if we do decide to start trying for a baby next year that I give it a really good place to live while it's in there. Plus, J wants to move to NY in three years to be nearer to his family and I don't want to be fluffy when we move up there because no one in his family is fluffy--only me.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

since I got Jack back in oct 09 I have lost 2 pant sizes, about 25/30 pounds. Which is just a guess. I don't tend to watch the scale too closely, just what size clothes I wear. I had to start UPING my food intact to stabilize my weight loss. too much too fast isn't good. all I have done is watch how much I eat and take Jack for daily walks.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Leigha, don't be so hard on yourself! You've had a lot on your mind lately, but at least you're walking your dogs again! Pretty soon, you'll have to walk the pups, too!

Fundog, a funny thing happened July 16th! Karma and I both had doctors appointments in which at my doctor's, I lost 8 pounds, but at the vets, where Karma was weighed, she gained 8 pounds! Now I know where my 8 pounds went! :lol:

Now look who gets a star by her name -me! :lol: Laughing aside, looks like Karma is going on a diet (actually, she's been on a diet since that day!)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Leigha wrote:Thankfully our scale is broken!
Good, the worst thing you can do is to be a scale watcher, our bodies fluctuate depending on how much water we are carrying, that is so depressing.
I'm walking doggies every day for an hour or so a night, J's coming (slightly unwillingly, but he's still going). My friend and I try to go to the gym several times a week for different classes, but she's a lot better and going than I am. I just want to make sure that if we do decide to start trying for a baby next year that I give it a really good place to live while it's in there. Plus, J wants to move to NY in three years to be nearer to his family and I don't want to be fluffy when we move up there because no one in his family is fluffy--only me.
Vary the walking, some to let the dogs sniff round and other sections power walking. There are other ways to exercise your body without going to the gym, when doing housework swing those hips whenever you can, that will also help make your hips more supple which will help with the walking. Put more energy into they housework, hoovering change hands with it and really swing it, cleaning windows, micro fabric gloves and really work those arms as you are cleaning. Mopping floors, swing the mop round it and sometimes get down on your knees and clean the floor with a cloth, really putting lots of movement into it. If you have stairs, run up and down them.

Once you start working out in the house, it will become a habit, you will be let likely to put the weight back on again, if you go to the gym, when you stop the weight will go back on.

Look at the people who are thin, most put a lot of energy into what they are doing, it is why they are slim, they walk fast, they hoover fast etc.

Don't forget your diet, you need enough fuel to keep your body working properly but not enough to put weight on. Lots of fruit and veg, smaller meals by using a smaller plate.

After what you have already done Leigha, once you get going this will be a doddle. :lol:

As so many of us want to loose weight, maybe we should have a random thread with ideas and information on how we are doing, what we are doing and what foods we have found helpful :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

people at work are constantly commenting on my weight loss or asking how I did it. I just look at them and say "walked a dog 3 times a day" and "watched how much I eat".

and I only have 1 dog...you have several that need walking. :twisted:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

jacksdad wrote:people at work are constantly commenting on my weight loss or asking how I did it. I just look at them and say "walked a dog 3 times a day" and "watched how much I eat".

and I only have 1 dog...you have several that need walking. :twisted:
That's funny, me too! One of the side effects of getting Murphy was that I dropped weight pretty fast in the first year because of all the walking I was doing, on top of changing my diet (hey, home cooked meals with lots of good whole foods is better than take-out! Go figure!). Same thing happened, people would ask me how I did it, and I'd say "I got a dog." Knowing nod from other dog owners, and wide-eyed wonderment from the non-dog people. :lol: :lol:

I've made so much progress myself that this morning the weather was cooler and during our 1-hour walk I was actually able to JOG for half of it! Murphy was a happy camper, trotting along next to me. :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I think I have to add my voice in here too! The two years I didn't have a dog of my own I've gained weight. :( However, when I got Emma, and later Karma, I saw the weight melt off walking, swimming, and just playing with my dogs! :D And just think! If any of you who lost weight walking your dogs know, we (or at least) didn't use diet pills, or companies/organizations such as Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers to lose weight. 8)

The plan is so simple: Just watch what you eat, eat in smaller portions, and exercise! Dogs make great motivators as well as great companions! One other thing I could add about exercising with dogs is this: you hear no complaints so you can having a relaxing good time with your dog! My dog may be like an "expensive exercise equipment" in one sense, however, she is worth it! :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

wvvdiup1 wrote: My dog may be like an "expensive exercise equipment" in one sense, however, she is worth it! :D
Yeah well you can't cuddle with your treadmill at the end of the day! :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Noobs wrote:
Yeah well you can't cuddle with your treadmill at the end of the day!
Well, I could but that just wouldn't look right! :lol: That's why I prefer my dog Karma! :lol: