making progress

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

making progress

Post by MPbandmom »

Sirius had her first Rally class this week. Her recent bad yard behavior and new bad behaviors when we are out walking made me uncertain as to just how she would do in a class environment. The behaviors of concern were agressive displays towards dogs, barking at people talking, and lunging and snapping at people that get too close or try to touch her.

I tried to get there early to give her some time to get used to the location as we had never been there before. I had my new homemade beef jerkey treats and my clicker. We walked around and sniffed and I clicked and treated her for focus. She perked up at the sight of the other dogs, but I kept our distance and treated her and she settled down. She did not react agressively to a single dog and even did a meet and greet with some of the dogs (she is usually fine meeting and greeting anyway, but her initial behavior can remove the possibility of meet and greet.)

She also did not bark once at anyone talking! :D

The only problems we had was that the regular instructor was unable to make it to class, so we were allowed to visit a regular obedience class. Even this went pretty well except that at one point, a park official (male) came over to talk to the instructor. We all moved our dogs back some to give them some privacy and while standing there waiting, Sirius suddenly lunged towards the official. I caught her, turned her around and treated her as she focused back on me. The other problem area was when the instructor (also male) was considering doing the "stand for exam" exercise with her. I had advised him of her aversion to being touched and as he approached, she growled and him, so he decided not to push it.

There was another male handler in the class that she never reacted to at all.

So we are making progress, but still need to work more on her fear issues with people.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Re: making progress

Post by jacksdad »

keep an eye out for her being overwhelmed in a class environment. be prepared to stop going to class if she is and work with her some more and try again another time. if your sure she is actually ok, be sure to give her breaks from her triggers for a day or two after class. try to find places you can go where the chance of running into a trigger is low to not at all.

Good work in the capturing her attention though, and continue to speak up if the activity is something your dog might not quite ready for. there is always "tomorrow".
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thanks jacksdad for the reminder to take it easy with her for a couple of days after class. Fortunately the Rally class that she is enrolled in is very small at 3 dogs total and there is no "stand for exam" in rally. One of the reason's I chose rally for her.

The instructor kept trying to tell me that I was babying her and had her enrolled in the wrong class because Rally is one dog at a time and she needs to be immersed in the things that frighten her. He even suggested putting her in the car and going through a car wash. (I'm pretty sure she would be terrorized by such an activity, as she is sound sensitive, and I would be deafened.) He was an older gentleman and I understand the school of thought that he is coming from. I just don't happen to agree with it.

So, to Rally class next week, or no class at all.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Good for you, for sticking to your guns and not letting the "old school" instructor goad you into doing something that is not right for your dog. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Way to go, MPbandmom! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

yes, good for you sticking to your guns.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The real rally instructor was at class this week. Sirius had a great time. She was much more relaxed? I question relaxed, because she was more puppy giddy than relaxed. She did all of the stations well except one. There was a stop and sit. The stop and sit she did great, but then when we went to continue the course, she took off at full speed. :lol: My guess is because she thought she was done, and she was facing all of the other dogs that she wanted to play with. She grumbled a couple of times at dogs and men, but nothing major. I had to switch to lower value treats, because she was just a little too excited over the higher value treats that I had used last week.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You're doing well, MPbandmom, just keep working with Sirius and he/she will get better! :D Well done! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown