Break through with my Poodle!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Break through with my Poodle!

Post by Wicket »

My Poodle, during fetch, would always run off with the fetch toy after I threw it to her. If I went after her and tried to get it, she'd growl and taunt me by dropping it and then lunging at my hands with her teeth, using her body to guard the toy and then starting the cycle again to get the fetch toy back.

Today I decided to do something different. I reviewed both "drop it" and "go get it" at the same time and used the principle of back chaining. She started with the nylabone in her mouth and then I'd say "drop it" and then pause and said, "go get it," slowly increasing the criteria and distance until I put the whole chain of fetch together.

By the end of the training session, she was coming to me with her toy and dropping it at my feet. Instead of "drop it" being the end of the fun, it was now the start of it because a "drop it" was always followed by a "go get it!" :D
Mattie

Re: Break through with my Poodle!

Post by Mattie »

Well done Wicket, :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Awesome job! (I'm going to have to try that.)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice work wicket. I will have to keep this one in mind.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Good job, Wicket! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

Great work!
Blackie's and Misty's Mom