Unexpected compliment

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Unexpected compliment

Post by Wicket »

I walking my dogs yesterday. Up ahead, I saw a huge mix breed dog up ahead with her own and told my dogs, "this way" before the dog and owner neared us, heading towards the grassy area near the street. Immediately, after I said "this way," my Poodle decided to go poop so as the dog is nearing us, I'm juggling two leashes, two plastic bags and trying to make sure that they are staying and being calm. As I pick up the poop, their leashes start to get tangled in my hands and my Poodle almost lands on the street but I catch her in time. Meanwhile, my chi-poo is getting hyper as the dog nears. As I try to untangle myself from their leashes, my big running shoe (just bought yesterday, still trying to get used to the added weight) goes on my chi-poo's leash as she starts alert barking, making for an accidentally but somehow well timed "correction." My brain is buzzing: Did I just "correct" her? Where's the poop bag? Is everybody okay?

As the lady and her dog pass us, she said, "Your dogs are well-trained."

"HUH?" I said, secretly wondering if she's being sarcastic as my chi-poo starts to pull on the lead.

"I've seen you walk around the neighborhood. Your dogs always listen to you," she said.

"Thanks," I said and give another "this way" when the dog and owner are beyond us.
-------

Lesson learned: Management is important. Your situation may not be as bad as you think it is. :)
Last edited by Wicket on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattie

Re: Unexpected compliment

Post by Mattie »

Well done Wicket, we always think our dogs are a lot worse than other people see them.

Good management can teach our dogs a lot as well as keeping them under control. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Love that story! Well done and thanks for sharing. :D
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Thanks for that encouraging story, Wicket! :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow! Awesome! And yes, that is a very encouraging story; thanks for the lift. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nice wicket. bask in the complement.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Way to go, Wicket! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Mattie wrote:Well done Wicket, we always think our dogs are a lot worse than other people see them.

Good management can teach our dogs a lot as well as keeping them under control. :lol:
I was looking out the window today (dad lives on the 3rd floor so I have a good view) and saw lots of people with their dogs and let's just say, Cadence seems to be better trained :shock: :lol:

But well done to you managing to juggle all that!! :D
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Yeah, I know what you mean forkin14. Thanks for all the positive feedback.