4th of July from Bad to better

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rennogsd1996

4th of July from Bad to better

Post by rennogsd1996 »

My 4 year old German Shepherd Hondo has a severe anxiety problem with loud noises. When he was a puppy a former friend (notice the former) shot a gun near him thinking it would be funny to terrify my boy. Ever since then he's been terrified and will actually climb up on the bed on my lap when he hears them, terrified. Well last night I took the bull by the horns so to speak. I was loaded with dog treats and we were on the bed watching the Boston Pops 4th of July Spectacular. Every single time we heard a fire work or fire cracker I would then immediately give him a treat and praise him. By the end of the night my boy went from horrific behavior at the sound to eagerly awaiting a treat. I want to thank Victoria..I learned this from her show, which we watch daily btw. Just wanted to share.

Arsena & Hondo
emmabeth

Re: 4th of July from Bad to better

Post by emmabeth »

Thankyou for sharing we love success stories here big or small!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

rennogsd1996 wrote: Every single time we heard a fire work or fire cracker I would then immediately give him a treat and praise him. By the end of the night my boy went from horrific behavior at the sound to eagerly awaiting a treat.
:D That's really great! :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thanks for sharing your story! I used the same technique on my dog Karma when I first got her, because my one neighbor's son has this bad habit of speeding up and down our road,making his car back fire in which you know sounds like a gun shot! I hate to wish ill-will on anybody, but I couldn't wait for his car to blow up (engine quit running). However, during his "showing off," I got Karma calmed and the longer she was calmed, I gave her a treat. I kept doing this until any loud noise had no effect on her. Since she has become used to the loud noises, she has been doing well, especially during the fireworks, gun shots (from celebrators firing in the air), and other loud noises we heard on the 4th at the camp ground we were staying at. Kudos to all the dogs who remain calm during loud noises and their owners who trained them well! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
rennogsd1996

Post by rennogsd1996 »

This forum is so great it's nice to hear from someone besides myself i"m doing something right. I love Victoria's show and training methods...I have been using the pos reinforcement for nail trimming too. he's always let me do it but is antsy...not anymore. thank you guys. :)

Arsena