Just had the best walk of our lives!!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

twoanchovys

Just had the best walk of our lives!!

Post by twoanchovys »

So, this is my first time on Victoria Stilwell's website but I just had to share what just happened!!! I've had Oscar, my 13 lb. chihuahua, for 5 years and he's so great in every way but after an attack at a dog park when he was a pup, I stopped socializing him and he developed leash aggression. He's pretty good off leash, but on leash, he gets demonic. I live in a neighborhood full of dogs and it was so stressful and embarrassing trying to avoid all of them on our walks. I was especially sad that we couldn't socialize with the group of owners/dogs that would gather in the evening near my house. But GUESS WHAT. We just got home from hanging out with them!!! I only started watching It's Me or the Dog only 2 weeks ago and I started actually using her positive reinforcement method on our walks ONLY 1 week ago. I would treat him every time he saw a dog. I have to admit I started out pretty halfheartedly because I couldn't imagine Oscar not going crazy but soon enough, Oscar started looking at me first when he spotted another dog. And now, I just can't believe Oscar hung out with the big dogs, the frisky dogs and even the huge Saint Bernard that Oscar was especially aggressive towards. And he was GREAT!! FANTASTIC!! I'm just so proud of him AND myself...except he kept humping the Saint Bernard and a golden retriever.... I need help on how to stop him from doing that please! THANK YOU VICTORIA!!!! I'M A BELIEVER!!!! :mrgreen:
Fundog

Re: Just had the best walk of our lives!!

Post by Fundog »

That is awesome-- thanks for sharing! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Re: Just had the best walk of our lives!!

Post by jacksdad »

excellent. it is nice when your dog isn't "freaking out" isn't it. have a chihuahua mix my self and working through the same issues.

do be careful about over whelming him with success. the new habit of being calm around other dogs can take a while to really take hold so give him a day or two off by keeping some extra distance between him and other dogs, but still reward his calm response.

have a look around the training forum here, lots of good info to help you out with this issue, but it sounds like your off to a great start. Keep it up. if you have any questions please, please ask.