Survived a Loud Party!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Survived a Loud Party!

Post by Fundog »

Woo-hoo! We had a bit of a spontaneous, not to mention loud and happy party at our house last night--- in celebration of overcoming some drama that has nothing to do with dogs--- at any rate, the girls met a new man-friend (remember, my girls are trained to be wary and even "scary" to strange males). At first, I made a slight mistake and abandoned my poor friend at the door while I walked to the pantry to get some more cookies. When my friend tried to follow me inside, Annie told him, "Excuse me, but unless my mom specifically says you're welcome to come inside, you'd best stay out!" :lol: Oops. :oops: But we fixed that right away, and let Annie know he's a friend, and he's welcome. So then she reacted with a complete 180. 8)

That was the first encounter. A few hours later, the same friend plus a few more (all female, the rest, and two the girls have already met) came over for a bit of a party. We had loud music and laughing and talking, and food, and people coming in, and silly teenage girls giggling.... But they all were very impressed with Annie and Dottie, especially our man friend. Not only was he impressed with how Annie did her "job" at the first introduction, but then he was very charmed by how she "welcomed" him into our home later: She kept trying to reach his face. We explained that she has a bit of a nose fetish-- she insists upon kissing your nose when she meets you, then she will leave you alone. She will not stop until she gets your nose. Chin and cheek are not sufficient. She MUST kiss your NOSE. So our friend sat down and lowered his face so Annie could kiss him on the nose. Then she walked away and laid down. Occasionally she and Dottie would both make the rounds, eliciting ear rubs and hiney scratches and whither rufflings, etc. from everyone, but they did not make nuisances of themselves, and our friends commented on that. They thought the girls were just so "freaking cute" and well-mannered, and sweet, they mentioned it many times.

When I think about how far these shy, timid, fearful, reactive dogs have come, and what a HUGE thing it was for them to be gracious and charming in a situation most dogs with their history would find extremely stressful, well, I am just bursting with a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.

To anyone else out there with a dog from a similar past and has not yet reached this significant social milestone: HANG IN THERE, KEEP YOUR CHIN UP, AND STICK WITH US! 8)

Oh-- one more thing: my friend was very surprised to hear that Annie is SIX YEARS old-- he commented that she looks soooo much younger. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
***Melissa***

Re: Survived a Loud Party!

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Fundog, that's fantastic!! I think it would be in order to have another celebration for this success too :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

That brought tears to my eyes Fundog, the girls really have come a long way and it is all down to you so CONGRATULATIONS
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yes! Awesome!

Go girls! :D :D :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nice fundog. Gives me hope with Jack.

You and the girls should be very proud.