YES! She doesn't pull...

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

YES! She doesn't pull...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

When I got my dog Karma nine months ago, I've been working with her on all kinds of issues in which one of them being that she pulls when any of us walks her. It didn't take me long to get her to quit pulling in different settings such as the country side or in a town or city, but, when it comes to parking lots, that's another story.

Karma just freaks when it comes to parking lots because of the flurry of action that goes on in a relatively short amounts of space in a relatively short amount of time. Think about it this way: If you sit in your car at any busy store, notice what happens around you in a twenty or thirty-foot radius! You have people going in, people coming out, cars backing or pulling into parking spaces, people talking, and the list just goes on and on. I couldn't get Karma to focus on me.

As of the other day, that is history! Since I have been exposing her to a lot of different scenes, especially busy traffic, she has done very well. However, when it came to the busy parking lots of grocery stores, for example, I couldn't get her to focus on me, because she was so freaked out, and when she's freaked, she really pulls! I just kept working with her on this issue by redirecting her focus elsewhere such as walking her towards the back of the building until she was calmed, then I turned us back to the parking lot. At the parking lot, she remained calmed until we got further toward the middle of the parking lot, and when she started to freak out and pull, I turned her around.

The other day was her big test. I took her out of my vehicle for a walk and she walked just a little head of me and did not even pull! She even greeted the people going in or coming out of the store with a waggin' tail and a smile! I guess you can say she aced her test! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Re: YES! She doesn't pull...

Post by Mattie »

That brought a few tears, I do love the success stories and it is all down to the hard work you have put in for her. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hip-hip Hurray for Karma! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Big fat bone for Karma!! Congrats! :D
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Yay for Karma! Another for you! Image
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice. congratulations to Karma...oh and you too :D

feels really good when it finally starts coming together doesn't it?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thank you for sharing that. You are an inspiration to me. While Simba has come a long way (he is turning out to be a sweet and gently companion - who knew????) from being Mr. Mouthy and hurting us doing his puppy biting thing; he is still pulling. Hearing your story gives us hope. Thank you again.
My Best Buddy...
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Awesome!! Isn't it such a great feeling when you're arm is relaxed, the leash is slacked, and your dog is walking right beside you :D So different than when your arm is being yanked out of its socket! haha
marcb

Post by marcb »

Well done Karma, I'll try the same technique with my next puupy. Thanks for the inspiration.