A walking success

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

luvmydogs

A walking success

Post by luvmydogs »

I am very happy right now...I just came back from a great walk with my very reactive GSD..First you must know she weighs 100 pounds and I weigh 130..I can barely control her when another dog is heading our way..Today I used her no pull harness along with her regular collar and used 2 leashes...I might haved looked abit strange but it worked awesome..She was walking pretty much the whole time on a loose lead.. (which she never does)..The best part was at the end we had to go by 2 houses right next to each other that had 2 dogs each in the yard with no fences..Also someone was walking towards us with her dog all in the same spot.. I wanted to cry..Her reaction was to give a lunge but when she felt me pull back she just stood there looking ...I couldn't believe it..I had control..I hope this wasn't a fluke but I know I will be using this method for now... I do want to thank Emmabeth for the advice she had given me..I was always trying to get her to sit in these situations which was pretty useless and she advised me not too because of the stress involved..This time I didn't and I could see it made a difference..Thanks all for reading I'm just very excited that we made a step in the right direction..
Fundog

Re: A walking success

Post by Fundog »

AWESOME! I can totally relate. The euphoria I have after a successful, calm, no-pull walk is better than any drug on the market. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done, it is all down to your hard work :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Woo! Celebrate every training success, that's what keeps us all going! Well done! :mrgreen:
vicki

Post by vicki »

Feels good doesn't it? :mrgreen: Congrats on your success and I hope you are able to enjoy many more!