place training

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dontpugme

place training

Post by dontpugme »

We've been doing place training with my pug max for a few weeks. Tonight before dinner, i put him in his place and said stay. His stays have been pretty solid. I reward him like every 4 minutes he stays on his mat.

Tonight, i accidentaly threw the treat a little too far away from the mat. He got up and ate his bit of carrot...then....heres the part im so excited about...he went back to his mat without me having to say anything. He got another bit of carrot for doing this. :mrgreen:

This is a big thing for me. I know place training is working and i will continue it. I used to do body blocking, but he would run away. I bet it was comical to see me scrambling around the island in the middle of our kitchen. I even fell one night when i was wearing socks. Place training is really working for us and i know we will get better and better.
emmabeth

Re: place training

Post by emmabeth »

Well done you, and him! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

BRAVO! Very well done! Belly/heiny scratches for your Max!
Just a comment tho... and many people get this confused so don't feel bad, I did at first too.....place & stay are two different commands. Stay means do not move, period. Whereas place means go to your bed/mat & dog is allowed to move, stand/sit/down/turn around, etc. just not leave. As you build up the time on the mat you wouldn't want to use "stay" (as in stay in one position) for the duration of your cooking/eating. As long as he is on the mat it doesn't matter if he moves around. Just make the two differnt commands very clear to him & he will continue to improve.
Keep up the good work! 8)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Just a comment tho... and many people get this confused so don't feel bad, I did at first too.....place & stay are two different commands. Stay means do not move, period. Whereas place means go to your bed/mat & dog is allowed to move, stand/sit/down/turn around, etc. just not leave. As you build up the time on the mat you wouldn't want to use "stay" (as in stay in one position) for the duration of your cooking/eating. As long as he is on the mat it doesn't matter if he moves around. Just make the two differnt commands very clear to him & he will continue to improve.
Thanks...that makes tons of sense!
--dontpugme