Sampson and the gate

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Sampson and the gate

Post by ZaraD »

When I walked Sampson This morning I saw a fence up a head so used his favourite cheese to distract him before he even saw the fence we were going past the fence while he was focused on the cheese wagging his tail then we went past as usual and I award the cheese but then he turned around and pulled me by my surprise (as I didn't expect him to pull back as he's never done that before) back to the fence and he was sniffing around the fence which he has never done wagging his tail and I could tell he was curious I couldn't believe it he'd gone from wanting to kill every fence\gate to being curious then after he finished sniffing he sat near it looking at me as Seres the cheese :lol: so I prasied him and reward cheese for being so calm around the fence. I was in shock but so happy so we then we pressed on with our walk.

Then on the way back I had by accident forgot about the fence and didn't notice it until we were walking past it and Sampson just went past and ignored like how most dogs would he wasn't bothered by it even without cheese :mrgreen:

I was so happy for him and so proud of him and then as I was talking with mom she said maybe what he was doing when he was sniffing is that maybe he has gone past enough fences\gates now with you and cheese that he's decided he's ready to let go just let go of this fear and realised that not all fences are bad ? When mom said this I got very emotional thinking that he just decided bto let it go :cry: :D .

I'm still going to have cheese with me but I think we have made a breakthrough with his fence\gate fear training :D
Nettle

Re: Sampson and the gate

Post by Nettle »

Well done - a real achievement!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Re: Sampson and the gate

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 am Well done - a real achievement!
Thanks Nettle, on our walk tonight we went passed several gates and fences and he just ignored them and just continued with our walk and was relaxed and happy with a wagging tail the whole time and at pets at homes we went past a few as well and he was the same just happy and calm and ignored them :D

The power of positive training :mrgreen: