Boarding

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Boarding

Post by Shalista »

PHEW! as some of you may recall from last year i had a horrible experience boarding bax for the week while we go to a non pet friendly vacation. this year i asked my favorite vet tech for a recommendation and she recommended this place. its a mobile pet grooming... boarding... place. it was fantastic! Im so happy! it was only 20$ a night and that included 2 20min play sessions every day. i was skeptical that theyd actually do it but when i went to pick him up they told me stories and stuff about how he played and it sounded exactly liek him (he does this lil head tilt thing when you give him a neck scratchy and she picked right up on how neck scratchies are his fav thign ever) best of all when she let him out of the kennel he seemed legit excited to see her (which i imagine wouldnt be the case if she just locked him up all week and never let him out to play) he can be so shy with new people but he really seemed to love her.

i prolly wont need a dog boarding place again until next year (and who knows where ill be then) but its nice to know i have a good place if i DO need one.

....hmmm... maybe i should board him while im packing up to move?

Only downside to the whole thing was that when i dropped his food off i asked about a fridge because hes raw fed, they said they had one. i told them that one of the days food has bone in it. she assured me it was no problem. that night i was in the mountains and i get a call. apparently bone in meat is a liability issue and they took. his. dinner. and cut out the bone and gave it back to him. knowing bax gets dicy if im anywhere NEAR his food im shocked they all kept their fingers. thankfully he only had bone in that one day.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Boarding

Post by Nettle »

Sounds a great place, and the bone thing you now know for the future. It won't hurt for him to miss bone for a week, or you could get some of the packet raw food that has ground-up bone.

He would probably be best at home while you pack to move, assuming you would take several days over that, and maybe have a day's boarding while you actually move, so he can come in to a new home that is already organised.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

my thoughts exactly. i think day of, with the moving van and everything, would be a bit stressful and id be scared of him launching himself out the door if someone leaves it ajar
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And for sure, someone would.....what a nightmare. Forward planning is good.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS