Charlie freeshaping

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Charlie freeshaping

Post by bendog »

Hard to believe we have had Charlie nearly a year and as yet I have done very little training with him!
He is naturally a happy little dude and loves his snuggles and playing fetch and doesn't have the intense need to have a "job" like Poppy does, he has very good recall in most situations, and a solid sit and a decent emergency wait, he pulled on lead at first so we worked on that and he is much better now, but I haven't really done much more training with him as he doesn't really need it.

Anyway, he has at least been introduced to the clicker and "101 things" game/free shaping but never been much good at offering anything beyond a paw or nose touch (which becomes a more emphatic paw slap sending the whole box flying, accompanied by a grumbly noise if you wait him out and want a different behaviour :lol: )

This week, for no real reason, I have been doing a bit more with him. Some RallyO type exercises (heel work, turns, sits, stays etc) and free shaping a "beep beep" (back up) cue, and a speak/growl and today some free shaping on a walk with a large boulder and it has finally really come together with him and you can see him thinking of new things to try, or trying hard to do what i want.

After our session on our walk today I told him "ok, all done, go play" and instead got a smily face glued to my heel for a while longer just incase we were going to do more :D

Anyway, I just wanted to share because it strikes me that this is what training SHOULD be like, human and dog both having fun :) I am prone to getting impatient/frustrated at times with dog training, which is why the 101 things game suits me well because there is no right or wrong, so no frustration! But today was a good reminder of how good it can be when I get it right and don't get grumpy! And how quickly even my "stupid" dog can learn.
:D
Nettle

Re: Charlie freeshaping

Post by Nettle »

That is such a nice post to read :D well done!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

It is so cool when it all comes together. Yay Charlie and Bendog!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Love the photo, too. :D

I can see the bond between you. :D

I understand frustration because I also get that way . It is great to see it come together.
You instill hope for Sandy and me. :D :D

Thanks,
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
pianogirl

Post by pianogirl »

I love freeshaping with my dog. I love watching her try to come up with behaviour that will give her a jackpot. A while ago I was doing it with her and I have reactive dogs so I thought I would aim for sniffing the ground and a play bow. We did these on separate sessions. Then I didn't train for at least a month.

Then last month she had an issue with her sister and we were just trying to train for "look at that" and she was throwing every trick in the book at me instead. She even started doing a play bow while sniffing which I thought was pretty good considering we never did both at once, and we had worked on it a long time before - but she obviously hadn't forgotten.
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Well done! Shaping is by far my favorite way of working with dogs because after they've gotten used to it, they become pros and learn so quickly! It's so much fun!