Chance doesn't fight anymore!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rnor1120

Chance doesn't fight anymore!

Post by rnor1120 »

I've had quite the month - Chance and I have moved away from our little Caribbean island home, then up to the northern US for Christmas, and now moved into the southern US so I can finish up vet school. Very, very hectic! But in all this, I figured I should give an update.

I'd like to move Chance up from dog-aggressive to dog-okay. I haven't had any incidents with any dog in ages, even with complete stranger-dogs. There's a definite change in Chance. He doesn't put up the defensive front he used to. Now, he's curious, and not crazy, about the dogs we pass on walks and he's more willing to meet any dog that happens to gain access to him. He doesn't get aggressive or "dominant," but rather opts to sniff out the rear end of dogs instead of their face and ears. And if he likes them, he'll offer a play-bow and a little bit of romping. And if he doesn't, he'll give a quick sniff and he'll either (try to) run off, give a little "grrrfff" and run off, or completely ignore them and pretend to be interested in the nearest bush/stick/etc. He has met several dogs over the past few months - most on accident, some planned - and he's been very, very good with all of them. No overt, over-blown, over-done aggression as he's shown in the past.

So, although he's not 100% comfortable with every dog he meets, he now chooses not to use aggression but rather composes himself enough to give a quick greeting. And if he chooses so, he can get to know the other dog better or he can say "thanks, but no thanks" and move on without being an over-reactive jerk about it.

Please note that I'm not forcing any type of meeting with strange dogs. Many of our encounters have been with strays or escapees. I haven't allowed any planned meetings unless I know the dog and owner very well. However, I have been MUCH more comfortable on walks and outings with him as his overall attitude has relaxed and he can control himself around other dogs.
Nettle

Re: Chance doesn't fight anymore!

Post by Nettle »

That's some great work done there for you and Chance - well done and thanks for the update. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes you've done a brilliant job with him. Congratulations to both of you :D I am going to miss your Caribbean photos though!! :D
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

What a great update on Chance! You both put a lot of hard work into getting where you are today. Kudos to you both!! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Thank you all for your kind words. Minkee, there's always a little more room for just a few last Caribbean photos :D . These are from our last day on the island.

Erica

Post by Erica »

Aww, I never noticed his spots before! Very cute! :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

Wow that just looks so amazing! That's a lovely one of you (assuming it is you!) with him overlooking the island. It's a keeper :D
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Wow, well done, that's great work on both your part and Chance's! I'm so proud of you both and happy about your progress! Thank you for this wonderful update!!