Puppy Updates

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Puppy Updates

Post by Erica »

So with a lot of work, life with the puppies seems to be getting easier (at least for the moment).

Tally is a very gung-ho girl, all energy and curiosity and enthusiasm. Very different from the first night - if she were to be renamed now, Tally would become Fiesty!

Pippin is more intelligent and tends to stick closer to you than Tally will. She learned her name very quickly!

They will both recall during the middle of play to "PUPPIESPUPPPIESPUPPIES!" plus running away. :D their reward is a fun game of tug with a leaf and then being released to play again. The kids play "chase" with them - but it's just the kids walking quickly away from them and then playing tug with a leaf if the pups catch them. (They really live tearing up leaves.)

Both are becoming good at sitting with a hand signal, and sitting instead of jumping up for food/water/attention. After the first time they knocked the water bowl out of my hands I decided to work on this pretty hard. ;)

They're now used to their harnesses, though Tally has some barrier frustration already :/ but I'll start another thread for that.

Separation is still hard on them. :roll: Though they're okay being alone long enough for me to take one out to potty and then switching. Most of the time they're in the same crate when they'll be alone for a while. When I take the big boys for their walks, though, they're separated, and also for a while in the evening. This is mostly because Tally doesn't go potty as readily as Pip, so Tally goes back in the crate for a few minutes while Pip gets to be in the pen.

Ami is also doing a lot better! Watching them play chase or prolonged periods of vocal wrestling are the only things that upset him now. I feel comfortable walking the pups on leash to the door as opposed to carrying them. Ami follows and watches but doesn't pounce or growl. :) He's even sniffed them a few times and then walked away of his own accord.

Zeus is still lovely with them, like a mother. :lol: He lays right next to their pen whenever they're in it. Obviously though we don't let them off leash to play with him - or let them play with him at all, as his paws are bigger than they are.

Tally still drives me up the wall most every day. Very vocal and demanding. Pippen is much more patient and quiet!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
WufWuf

Re: Puppy Updates

Post by WufWuf »

Sounds like you are doing great Erica :D Any more pictures of the little sweeties?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think I could manage something. :) I may try to film some of our training today as well.

Edit: Oh, another good thing - Ami joined us on a training session one day. He came over and lay down while Pip was in the pen and Tally was on leash, working on sits and leave its. Tally gets pretty excited during training, running around and spinning in circles, but Ami was just watching, and not with that predatory glint in his eye! He was mostly wanting treats from me, but he was still in recovery from the first bout of sickness, so he only got about 4 treats over the course of 20 minutes (5 min per pup, twice over...they do NOT get bored of training even over that much time!). But what a good Ami. :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

Posted some pics here. :)