Sofas

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Sofas

Post by JudyN »

I don't let Jasper share the sofa with me - he used to have a habit of sprawling all over me, getting nicely settled, and then getting snarky if I so much as shuffled when the circulation in my legs was getting cut off :shock: But he is allowed on when I'm not on it.

Sometimes he's a bit reluctant to get off it, as is understandable if he's having a comfy nap, and if I think he might not get off when asked I cheat - I go into the kitchen and call 'sausage'. That method has never failed yet! I know perfectly well what would happen if I tried to pull/push him off, and it wouldn't be pretty...

This morning, when I finally got up and came downstairs, he got off the sofa and moved to his bed without me even asking :D It just shows, if you show good manners to your dog, you will be rewarded with good manners. And I think it's also the result of not treating the sofa as a 'resource'. I'm pretty sure that if I'd stood over him commanding 'OFF!!!!' every time I wanted him to move, he'd have responded with equal determination and bad manners.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Sofas

Post by Nettle »

:D well done!

See - he IS growing out of it all, and much earlier because you didn't make an issue of it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

JudyN wrote:... got off the sofa and moved to his bed without me even asking ...
Hmm... :? He might be up to something... I would stay alert on that sofa if I were you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

well done judy