From thug to gentleman

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

From thug to gentleman

Post by Sarah83 »

Well, I wouldn't say we're quite at the gentleman stage yet but we're getting there. Spen can be quite...well, let's say over enthusiastic, in his greetings and play with other dogs. We've been working on it with the help of dogs who'll play with him but who will either tell him to knock it off if he gets too rough and/or whose owners are understanding about me removing him from play for a time out.

Today I took him to the nearby field for a change of scenery. We don't often go there because it's quite a boring walk but I was feeling lazy today :oops: Anyway, we bumped into someone with a friendly dog who wanted to play with him. I was a bit concerned as she was small enough to walk underneath him with room to spare but I needn't have worried, he was almost a perfect gentleman. He didn't hump her, didn't come close to splatting her and when she said no she didn't want to wrestle he accepted that and they spent about 10 minutes chasing each other around before she'd had enough. His initial greeting still leaves a lot to be desired but once that's over he seems to be really learning his manners. When it was time to leave them and carry on our walk he didn't kick up a fuss, just looked back a few times but happily came along with me. So all in all a fantastic encounter really and I think one day Spencer may actually be a reasonably polite dog.

You'd probably have laughed at me and the other dogs owner trying to communicate though. My German isn't great, it's especially bad when someone is speaking to me. And his English isn't great so we did a lot of miming and pointing lol.
Ari_RR

Re: From thug to gentleman

Post by Ari_RR »

Bravo!!

Although I couldn't help laughing imagining you trying to communicate through gestures with another owner when Spen is on his worst behavior :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote:I couldn't help laughing imagining you trying to communicate through gestures with another owner when Spen is on his worst behavior :lol:
That's a lovely image :lol:

Well done, Sarah. You've put in so much work and your rough diamond is turning into a brilliant jewel... slowly but surely!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sarah, there never was any doubt this day would come. :wink:

well done
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh there's been plenty of doubt here Jacksdad :lol: His meeting and greeting skills still need work but hopefully we'll get there with that too. It's been a while since he had a tantrum about not being allowed to meet a dog though :mrgreen:

As for trying to communicate with him on his worst behaviour...well thankfully other owners don't tend to stick around at those times. It's hard enough communicating when he's being good lol.