Pan is healthy! :)

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Secret Someone

Pan is healthy! :)

Post by Secret Someone »

Hellooo. :)

So, Pan has been with me for a year now. When we (I adopted him with a partner, but he's living with me since the break up) brought him home he was underweight, regularly being sick, was covered in rashes and did not have all of his fur. Over the past year we've taught him how to play, basic manners and a few tricks, and he's learnt how to live in a home. He used to be scared of puddles, bins, leaves blowing in the wind, plastic bags... on a walk pretty much everything. He was scared pretty much all of the time. We had behavioural issues that we expected when he learnt to play (not wanting to stop!) and the usual wanting to swim all the time and acting like a rude puppy with dogs... Plus we went through a little bit of time where he was aggressive, which ended up being due to him being poorly with a tummy infection, which got treated. He's been taught recall and is doing so well.

Now... He's so healthy! He's not being sick, is on Applaws food which suits him perfectly and is a healthy weight!! It's taken a year, but finally the vet has confirmed that at 15.55kg he is in his healthy weight range. His skin is fine now, and since the tummy bug was treated we've had absolutely no aggression. He loves playing but does not go OTT... he's gentle and if I tell him "that'll do" he'll leave it be. He's recently learnt to play football (he'd never played with toys before, so we had to teach him how to play from scratch) and is getting really good at dribbling the ball in the right direction.

Everything is falling into place. Since he's been on Applaws food, he no longer has flatulence issues or an upset tummy. Now that I've learnt what he needs a lot of the issues we had have been eliminated. He's confident, cuddly, playful and healthy. He doesn't mind me leaving him any more, and in fact will sometimes choose to have time alone during the day.

This is not written articulately because I'm bouncing around and nearly crying with happiness (I'm a soppy person, I admit). He's gone from a very poorly scared dog to a really happy and healthy boy. It's amazing, and without this forum probably wouldn't have happened. I learnt everything from here. So thank you, so much! <3

I suspect we'll have another issue soon, but I'm relishing not having any right now. :p
JudyN

Re: Pan is healthy! :)

Post by JudyN »

Well done! It's amazing how sorting even the smallest problem with your dog can make you so very happy - you have transformed Pan into a happy healthy dog so you have very reason to be thrilled!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Re: Pan is healthy! :)

Post by emmabeth »

Thats awesome and we are glad to have helped, but in the main, the credit is yours - its easy enough for us to tell you stuff and give you advice and ideas but its often VERY hard to do the work! Well done to you and Pan!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant