Little- Yet Kind Of Huge If You Think About It- Successes

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Little- Yet Kind Of Huge If You Think About It- Successes

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

My family and I rescued a Dachshund named Molly that came from an abusive breeder. She's really sweet but has all kinds of fears, one of them being the basement staris, which had open backs (she's fine with closed stairs, but must never have been socialized with this type of stairwell before or associated a bad experience around it.
Well, I've been a big fan of positive reinforcement techniques so have been working with her recently by using treats and acting like going downstairs was a huge deal- "HEY, MOLLY, COME ON, LET'S GO DOWN STAIRS!!" With a huge smile, I would have bite sized yummy treats and her favorite football toy. When we got down the stairs I'd praise and pet her then throw the ball and she'd go zooming after it to play fetch. Quickly, and by quickly I mean in a matter of doing this three times she got over her fear which had been irrational before :D :D :D Now she's all too happy to go downstairs whenever I call her.
As I'm sure you realize this doesn't seem like some huge breakthrough but actually it kind of is. :lol: Oh yeah, and this totally shows that it's not true that praising your dog will reinforce their fear, as dominance based trainers say! That's why I'm so in to improving dogs lives... positively. :D
Have a great day!
Ari_RR

Re: Little- Yet Kind Of Huge If You Think About It- Successes

Post by Ari_RR »

This is bigger than huge! This is humongous !! Well done!!

We had (and still have from time to time) a problem going down a staircase.
We even had our cat helping the dog -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPCAkI2AI2Y

So, yeah, this is a monster achievement in my books! Congrats!
CarolineLovesDogs

Ari_RR wrote:This is bigger than huge! This is humongous !! Well done!!

We had (and still have from time to time) a problem going down a staircase.
We even had our cat helping the dog -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPCAkI2AI2Y

So, yeah, this is a monster achievement in my books! Congrats!
Aw, thanks- you've done so well too!! What a good video that is- good for you!!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

This is a big deal! It just improves the quality of life for dog and owner.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
CarolineLovesDogs

MPbandmom wrote:This is a big deal! It just improves the quality of life for dog and owner.
You're right! But anyone can do it but practice and consistency!! :D :D :D