Digging

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Digging

Post by JudyN »

This may seem like a very minor achievement to many, but it meant a lot to me :D

Yesterday I was hoeing a large new border. You can imagine how this looked to Jasper - lots of lovely fresh bare earth, Mum looks like she'd appreciate some help because she's getting nowhere with that digging... cue Jasper trying to head to Australia :lol:

'Ah ah, no', I said, with a firm look and raised finger. And he stopped. And went to do something else instead. He was back a few minutes later but again, I just politely pointed out that I didn't want any help, and he stopped. For such an impetuous dog who is never at his most obedient in the garden, this was quite something :D

'Ah ah no' may not be positive, but I'm convinced that through all the positive training and bond forming we've done, I can ask him politely not to do something (I might even say 'please' :lol: ), and he will listen, not feel he's even been 'told off', and choose to do as I ask. I'm not sure shouting 'NO!!!' has ever got through to him - I don't think he shuts down, it's more like he filters it out. In one ear, out the other, missing the brain completely :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Re: Digging

Post by Suzette »

Good for Jasper! (And you, of course!) :wink:

I also use "uh uh" and "no ma'am" with Piper. Gently said, (and every now and then I add in a little waggle of the finger), and she knows it means stop. Doesn't upset her in the least, but she listens and moves on to something else. Nothing wrong with that. :D :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11