A rave for Sirius

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

A rave for Sirius

Post by MPbandmom »

We had gotten about halfway down the block on our walk this morning when another dog appeared in its yard across the street. The dog was on leash and I have seen it before. The yard isn't fenced and I think they take it out into the front yard for potty breaks. Sirius perked up a bit when it made noises at her, but she continued walking with me as I encouraged her with "let's go." We went down to the park and around a small loop that goes around a baseball field and then headed back towards home. On the way back up the hill she looked at me in a very deliberate fashion. It was then that I realized that there was a dog across the street from us. I GOT AN AUTOMATIC LOOK FOR A DOG ACROSS THE STREET!!! :D :D :D This is a pretty narrow street too. :D :D :D

She looked at me 2 or 3 times as we continued past the dog and I gave her treats each time. (Well, the treats were kind of slow in getting to her. It is pretty hard to dig treats out from my treat pouch when I am wearing gloves and mittens. :lol: )

I was so proud of her! I was also glad that I was paying enough attention to realize what she was doing so that I could reward it. It didn't register in my head immediately, but I think I reacted sufficiently well that the end result would be as it should be.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Suzette

Re: A rave for Sirius

Post by Suzette »

Wonderful! Kudos to you and to Sirius!! :D :D :D I just love those moments when it all pays off. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Well done! :D I remember getting excited because I got an automatic look when we passed a polystyrene fast-food burger box :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

MPbandmom wrote:She looked at me 2 or 3 times as we continued past the dog and I gave her treats each time. (Well, the treats were kind of slow in getting to her. It is pretty hard to dig treats out from my treat pouch when I am wearing gloves and mittens. :lol: )
Go Sirius, what a star.

I know what you mean about the cold, I cannot treat Ted and wear a glove as the amounts are the size of a pin head. I will probably lose a finger to frostbite this year :shock:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Erica

Post by Erica »

Woohoo Sirius! What a great day for you! :)

ClareMarsh, have you seen those mitten-glove combos? They have half-finger tubes and then a mitten thing you can put over top...you could also take some cheap gloves and snip off a couple fingers. That'd keep at least *some* of your fingers warm!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Those mitten/glove combo things are great. I used to wear 2 pairs of knit gloves, but my hands still got cold. Now I have 1 pair of knit gloves, with little rubber grippies along the palm, and 1 pair of the flap top mittins. I can open the flap on the mittins to access the rubber grippies on the gloves to open poo bags and then cover up again when done. My fingers stay much warmer than they did with the 2 pairs of gloves. My thumbs still get kind of cold though.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't tend to have that problem...I wear shortsleeved t-shirts well into the winter, flipflops unless it's wet, and only even bring a coat with me if it's below 35 F (probably about 1 or 2 C). Very hot-blooded, that's me!

However, I do wear leather gloves or arm warmers when I'm walking the dogs, if I can stand the heat...the friction of the leash sets off my dermographia, which cuts my patience in half. :(
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Erica wrote:ClareMarsh, have you seen those mitten-glove combos? They have half-finger tubes and then a mitten thing you can put over top...you could also take some cheap gloves and snip off a couple fingers. That'd keep at least *some* of your fingers warm!
This is an excellent idea, and I'll be writing to Santa immediately to ensure he knows I want some :lol: I have some of those gloves with the grips which would be fine for "normal" size dog treats but are useless with the size I deal with. I'm reasonably warm blooded too so I'm sure those mitts will do the trick :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I bought a pair of those mittens but then discovered that i need my thumb free to handle the tiny treats so i had to go back to my fingerless gloves. I got loads of them on sale in penny (primark) for 50cent last year!
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I went shopping for christmas stuff after i wrote this and what did i find but fingerless glove mittens with an exposed thumb! If you have a heatons in the uk they're in the mens section.

MPbandmom - sorry for being rude and not sending you a yay for sirius! Yaaay for Sirius :P
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules