Pretty good weekend!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emmaloo

Pretty good weekend!

Post by Emmaloo »

Hi all. We continue to make steps with our puppy mill rescue Yorkie, Rose, and her big sister, 16-year-old poodle mix Maisie. This weekend, Rose walked all the way around the block! It took forever (walk, click; walk, click; walk, click, treat; repeat), and there were a couple dodgy spots where I had to carry her, but she made it! (Next we'll tackle those scary 2 front porch steps.) We had a few indoor weeing incidents, which were all the humans' fault, of course-- a moment of inattention and danged if there isn't something to clean up. :roll: But we're working on it.

We also had great luck with toys and chewies. We got Rose a tiny Kong (and then had to dig Maisie's out of her toy pile), and the two of them spent a happy morning licking peanut butter out of those. Then we gave them the bits of dried animal goodness, which they polished off in very short order. I'm picking more up after work today. They also seem to have bonded very nicely over the toys, and this morning, they were lying together, Maisie's front paws along Rose's body. We've never seen them in a cuddle before, so we were overjoyed.
Fundog

Re: Pretty good weekend!

Post by Fundog »

Sounds like you're making huge strides. Keep up the good (hard) work! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

That's wonderful! Rose & Maisie are lucky to have someone like you taking such great care of them! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Emmaloo

Post by Emmaloo »

Thanks Fundog and Suzette! It feels like a couple strides forward and a big hop backwards sometimes, but we hang on to the successes and try to breathe through the challenges. It really is hard work, isn't it? :?