A positive update :) :)

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Raichyrae

A positive update :) :)

Post by Raichyrae »

Hello, dunno if you remember me but I'm the owner of Gelert a (now 24 week old) whippet puppy. I do still read the forum every day but haven't posted for a while but I had such a lovely experience this morning I wanted to share it.
Basically it was time for Gel's 'weigh'n'worm' and I also had a little worry about him panting excessively after a run the other day so wanted his heart listening to, so off we went to the vets and she was so pleased and complimentary about his behaviour. She actually said 'Wow, his training is going really well obviously' (I don't think she was being sarcastic).
He is given a lot of training by me and the children and it seems to be paying off, he now walks calmly past people and other dogs, CAN greet other dogs politely and play nicely off-lead, even coming when I call (or run the other way shouting Gel-ert), I can leave him happy in the house for up to 2 hours,and everyone (mostly) he meets says what a calm steady, lovely, confident fella he is. I am massively aware that as he's coming up for 6 months a lot of this may change dramatically but just for now, bearing in mind the wobbles I've had since getting him,the S.A., the mad behaviour with other dogs when I thought he was going to be out of control and waaaay too much for me to cope with, thanks to advice from this forum, I feel much more confident in our ability to train each other and also thought it'd be good for people who may be having difficulties right now that things do, indeed get different.

His heart is fine by the way and he now weighs a massive 32 and a half lbs and is 22" tall....bonsai greyhound...mutter ...mutter :)
Suzette

Re: A positive update :) :)

Post by Suzette »

Wonderful update! Sounds like Gelart is thriving under your love and guidance! :D :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Raichyrae

Post by Raichyrae »

Aww Thanks Suzette :D :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's great to hear--- thanks for posting! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Raichyrae

Post by Raichyrae »

Thanks Fundog :)
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thats great.
Your post has given me a kick up the bum! We have a 5 month ish old pup and she knows the basics but I tend not to worry too much about training on walks because I think "she's only a pup, theres plenty of time"...clearly I need to get training more, Gelert sounds like a dream.